Question: White patches at base of axolotl's gills and on face

ectini

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi again, I've returned with a new question :eek:

First off, I've moved Kiwi into his new 10gal tank (it took 6 weeks to cycle) and got a chiller, so the water levels and temperature are stable :D

I started noticing he developed these white patches at the base of his gills and on both sides of his face a couple months ago when he still was in his 5gal tank. It became much more distinct in color over time. It seems flat on his skin, does not appear raised or bumpy. He has no other white patches elsewhere on his body. I have given him salt baths for fungus before and that problem cleared up fine, but the white patches remain. He is still eating fine, pooping fine, not exhibiting other signs of stress from what I can tell.

Can anyone tell me what this is and if I should be concerned or do anything about it? I tried doing some searching on the topic but still wasn't sure what it was.

Thanks in advance!

Attachments

• photo(24).JPG
    photo(24).JPG
    110.3 KB · Views: 1,468
  • photo(23).JPG
    photo(23).JPG
    109.8 KB · Views: 685
My axie has similiar markings, they are just patches of iridophores. Try shining a flashflight on the markings, if they are shiny, just iridophores.

That's my best guess, but someone with more experience may chime in with another answer.

My axie has similiar markings, they are just patches of iridophores. Try shining a flashflight on the markings, if they are shiny, just iridophores.

That's my best guess, but someone with more experience may chime in with another answer.

Thanks for the input!
I shined a light on him, and it just looks like solid white areas to me lol. What should "shiny" be exactly? The ring around his eyes are shiny and reflective. But the white patches aren't shiny like that.

I had the same scare, thinking my boy had fungus. You can try taking a photo with flash on (my iphone works a treat for this) - the spots come out like white dots in the pic.
Hope this helps :)

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back