Hypomelanistic Ambystoma mavortium mavortium (Barred Tiger Salamander)

John

Founder
Staff member
Reaction score
Country
Ireland
Display Name
John Clare
As many of you know, I bred my Barred Tiger Salamanders in April and June this year. A few friends and I raised about half of the 2000 eggs and out of all of them we found one particularly special individual. It's Hypomelanistic (it produces very little melanin - the dark pigment in the skin). I believe it's also somewhat Hypoxanthic (relatively little yellow pigment) except for its bars. Anyhow, it's now about 20 cm long (8 inches) and showing signs of slowly metamorphosing. I recently spoke to a friend who lives in the locality where I collected my tigers and he mentioned (before I told him about mine) that he saw a few hypomelanistic individuals 2 years ago in the wild. Anyhow, here's our (hi Jaymes!) friend a couple of weeks ago. Not sure if it's male or female, but I have a feeling it's male.

10916265294_53397f69db_c.jpg

10916126295_190ceeb566_c.jpg

10916255164_0847edfd3a_c.jpg

My hope is to breed this individual in 2014 with one of its parents and see what happens! I expect this individual will be a silver color with yellow stripes after it loses its gills. You would be forgiven for thinking this is an Axolotl (Ambystoma mexicanum)! While I've heard of hypomelanistic Ambystoma mavortium, I've never heard of a hypomelanistic Ambystoma tigrinum, though I have seen albino Ambystoma tigrinum.

That looks beautiful. I'm surprised there haven't been captive bred offspring before!

Gorgeous! And the photos were not entered into the calendar photo contest?

The pictures are absolutely gorgeous, your achievement deserves high praise and the animal is certainly curious. I can understand the curiosity of seeing what would result of breeding back to the parents, but i have to say it´s quite sad that a species that has seen so relatively few successes in captive breeding is already being considered for unnecessary inbreeding and mutant selection. I´m not saying it´s the end of the world, i´m saying it´s unfortunate, but i´m sure nobody is surprised nor cares.

Last edited:
Amazing,very very beautiful.contrata

Beautiful photos John! That is a wonderful specimen you have there. Keep us posted on the growth of this guy, cant wait to see what he will look like when he metamorphoses. Congrats! -Seth

That looks beautiful. I'm surprised there haven't been captive bred offspring before!
They've been captive bred in Europe but not in North America. And I'm pretty sure you won't see a hypomelanoid one of these in Europe.

Gorgeous! And the photos were not entered into the calendar photo contest?
I enter photos I like in the photo competition. Not necessarily those I think will win :p.

The pictures are absolutely gorgeous, your achievement deserves high praise and the animal is certainly curious. I can understand the curiosity of seeing what would result of breeding back to the parents, but i have to say it´s quite sad that a species that has seen so relatively few successes in captive breeding is already being considered for unnecessary inbreeding and mutant selection. I´m not saying it´s the end of the world, i´m saying it´s unfortunate, but i´m sure nobody is surprised nor cares.
I would ordinarily agree with you but as I stated earlier, this morph exists in the wild population at this locality. It's not "artificial" or a case of extensive line-breeding.

Glad to my baby looking so good! Amazing shots man.
_Your_ baby huh? :)

Beautiful photos John! That is a wonderful specimen you have there. Keep us posted on the growth of this guy, cant wait to see what he will look like when he metamorphoses. Congrats! -Seth
Sure will Seth.

I would ordinarily agree with you but as I stated earlier, this morph exists in the wild population at this locality. It's not "artificial" or a case of extensive line-breeding.

Oh for sure, but the reason why i consider it unfortunate is that this is almost certainly going to be just the seemingly inocuous beginning. As the bloodline spreads and more people manage to succeed with this species, other much less scrupulous individuals will make sure to take it further.

They've been captive bred in Europe but not in North America. And I'm pretty sure you won't see a hypomelanoid one of these in Europe.

There are hypomelanistic andersoni, tigrinum and californiense in Europe, so why not also mavortium? ;)

Attachments

• Unbenannt.jpg
    Unbenannt.jpg
    97.7 KB · Views: 1,334
Those gills! Absolutely gorgeous! I can't wait to see what becomes of the little guy.

Fantastic specimen and beautiful photos !

thanks to share ;-)

What makes it so attractive is the mavortium yellow bars showing through before metamorphosis. The icing on the cake would be a neotenic variety.

As many of you know, I bred my Barred Tiger Salamanders in April and June this year. A few friends and I raised about half of the 2000 eggs and out of all of them we found one particularly special individual. It's Hypomelanistic (it produces very little melanin - the dark pigment in the skin). I believe it's also somewhat Hypoxanthic (relatively little yellow pigment) except for its bars. Anyhow, it's now about 20 cm long (8 inches) and showing signs of slowly metamorphosing. I recently spoke to a friend who lives in the locality where I collected my tigers and he mentioned (before I told him about mine) that he saw a few hypomelanistic individuals 2 years ago in the wild. Anyhow, here's our (hi Jaymes!) friend a couple of weeks ago. Not sure if it's male or female, but I have a feeling it's male.

10916265294_53397f69db_c.jpg

10916126295_190ceeb566_c.jpg

10916255164_0847edfd3a_c.jpg

My hope is to breed this individual in 2014 with one of its parents and see what happens! I expect this individual will be a silver color with yellow stripes after it loses its gills. You would be forgiven for thinking this is an Axolotl (Ambystoma mexicanum)! While I've heard of hypomelanistic Ambystoma mavortium, I've never heard of a hypomelanistic Ambystoma tigrinum, though I have seen albino Ambystoma tigrinum.
Hi John he/ she is a beauty! Did you find out the sex and do you still have it?? I will be receiving a male hypo mel. I got him from Kevin Rhodes out of Lubbock. You may know him? I'm hoping to find a female for my little guy!?? Im asking Kevin to keep an eye out for a female. He has access to these guys and has seen this morph before. In fact he also acquired a Leucistic morph mavortium. I don't think it lived very long though. looking forward to hearing back!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back