Flightless now flying?

jungleboy01

Reaction score
Country
United States
I was looking at my culture of d. Melanogaster fruit flies and I realized the population had exploded more than my other two jars. I went to dump some into my frog tank and they all flew away. Closer inspection showed that more than half of them in just one of the jars had developed wings and can fly. Has anyone else experienced this?

Very nearly! Whilst waiting for the yeast to go off in a new culture I left a lid slightly off and a couple of normal flighted hydei found their way into the pot. If I hadn't noticed them and ditched the culture I'd have had the same thing happen

It has been suggested for a long time that commercial flightless strains have a limited number of generations of flightlessness.
The implication is that this is done on purpose so that people have to renew their strains periodically. I don´t know if there is any truth to this. I doubt it.
There are certainly mechanisms that could possibilitate a reversion to the wild type without intentional tinckering such as simple mutation or as Tappers has suggested accidental inflow of wild genes, as well as mixing separate flightless strains which have different genetic causes.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back