Question: Live food for my axalotl

Chap

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Display Name
Andrew
Hey guys,
I am looking at giving my axis something to play with and maybe eat. I have been told by a guy at the fish shop that if I give her a feeder guppy that its not good for her because it has scales. Is this correct or is this guy messing with me. I have heard of people giving there axolotl live fish to eat and I have one mate who had a gold fish in his axis tank and it was gone the next day but his axolotl was not affected from eating it. If this is fact about the scales if so what kind of live fish can I feed her?
Thanks in advance.:D

Feeder guppies are fine as a treat.

Thanks zidartha for the help i will get a few tonight :proud:

It's best to quarantine them first before you put them in with the axolotl. Do you normally feed earthworms?

IMHO guppies, although suitable as food, die very quickly in an axie tank as it's too cold for them.

If you want something for them to chase try freshwater shrimp such as river shrimp - see my avatar.

But you need to quarantine any live food you give your axie unless you trust the source.By 'trust' I mean you can guarantee that the food has no illnesses that the axie might catch.

hey guys,
i normally feed my girl a mix of blood worms and normally once a week i will feed her earth worms.
thanks auntiejude i am not sure where i will be able to get live shrimp from but i will def go and try to find them
thanks all for your help.:happy:

How big is your axie? anything over 5" and she should be getting earthworms every feed with the occasional treat such as bloodworm, shrimp, fresh salmon, guppies, thawed and rinsed prawn, blackworm and waxworm :D

Earthworms are the best thing for them nutritionally.

My axies like to play in their bubble wall, and hang about in taller plants, some people use plastic parrot toys in their tank and say their axies love to play with them too.

I got moss balls for mine, but they just walk around them and show no interest in them haha!

To keep them occupied, shrimp are the best e.g red cherry shrimp or river shrimp, the axies will chase them until theyre all gone :D

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back