Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Tokay Gecko Care, Feeding & Terrarium Design

findi

Herpetologist & Author
Reaction score
Hi, Frank Indiviglio here. I’m a herpetologist, zoologist, and book author, recently retired from a career of over 20 years with the Bronx Zoo.[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]Pugnacious reptiles with “attitudes” have long been favored by herp enthusiasts. In the lizard world, perhaps none fits this description so well as the Tokay Gecko, Gekko gecko. It truly is the ultimate “big lizard in a small package”. Years ago, I liberated a group into a huge multi-species exhibit at the Bronx Zoo, mainly for my own interests. Although my fellow keepers were well-experienced in caring for venomous snakes, dangerous primates and the like, I was roundly criticized…no one wanted to chance accidentally grabbing one of these foot-long nocturnal terrors! But in the right hands (well, not literally “in hand”…most object strenuously!), Tokay Geckos make fascinating pets that may live into their 20’s. What’s more, they are beautifully-clad in an array of colors, and are not shy about exhibiting their behaviors, including reproduction. [FONT=&quot] [/FONT]Read the rest of this article here Tokay Gecko Care, Feeding and Terrarium Design
Please also check out my posts on Twitter http://bitly.com/JP27Nj and Facebook http://on.fb.me/KckP1m

My Bio, with photos of animals I’ve been lucky enough to work with: That Pet Place welcomes Zoologist/Herpetologist Frank Indiviglio to That Reptile Blog | That Reptile Blog

Best Regards, Frank Indiviglio

findi

Herpetologist & Author
Reaction score
I've got a couple myself. Love them. Thanks for the info.

My pleasure...glad you enjoyed. Noticed your species list, thought you might like to hear - ..a Black-chinned red salamander, P.r.schrenckii, in my collection, inherited from a former co-worker, is now in its mid 30's. Best, Frank

Niels D

Reaction score
Wow, that's really old. Nice! My animals are CB 2011 if I'm correct (I forgot...). Bought them on Gersfeld last year and I've put them in a semi-aquatic setup last week and they went into the water within two days. Nice little buggers.

findi

Herpetologist & Author
Reaction score
Wow, that's really old. Nice! My animals are CB 2011 if I'm correct (I forgot...). Bought them on Gersfeld last year and I've put them in a semi-aquatic setup last week and they went into the water within two days. Nice little buggers.

Great that they are being bred there...almost no attention paid to native salamanders here in US zoos or by private breeders...sad, considering the diversity here and threatened status of many. Please keep me posted, best, Frank

Niels D

Reaction score
Will do. A pitty that there's a lack of interest for the native species, because you guys have a lot of beautiful animals over there. Our Zoos haven't got many indigenous species as well, but our little country doesn't have a lot of diversity of course.

findi

Herpetologist & Author
Reaction score
Will do. A pitty that there's a lack of interest for the native species, because you guys have a lot of beautiful animals over there. Our Zoos haven't got many indigenous species as well, but our little country doesn't have a lot of diversity of course.

Always seems to be that way...same with zoos here; traditionally much more focus on exotics of all kinds. Well, keep at it, enjoy, Frank

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1