I'm not sure whether to laugh, cry or both.....

lovesheraxies

Reaction score
Country
Canada
1st clutch laid 34 days ago. Surprise 2nd clutch laid 10 days ago. This is where I made the decision to separate Penny from the boys, not only is it a lot of work but it takes a lot out of mama to do this and obviously my tank favours breeding. I got her a new tank which is cycling and will be ready for her tomorrow.So I do water changes tonight on the 1st guys, admire the developing ones from the 2nd clutch, come upstairs to feed mama, the two daddy's and Howie and I see Penny perched in a plant, well that's a weird way to sit I thought, turn on the light and gasps! Horror! A little cursing, she's in the middle of laying her 3rd clutch just 10 days later! Omg this poor girl, also removed 5 more sperm deposits from the tank. I've been checking the tank every day since the first batch was laid for sperm and taken out any if I've seen it, I don't understand how I've missed any! It was like Sheldon knew too, even if he didn't it was ironic and funny how as soon as he seen me he backed away slowly and went and hid in his hide. No more babies for Penny! She's going to her own home tomorrow.

The first clutch was about 500 eggs, the second clutch was around 450 and this one if she is done is probably a couple hundred. After the first clutch I separated her for a few weeks when I put her back it wasn't even 2 weeks and she had laid another, this one was only 10 days, I would have had her out sooner this time but I had to wait for my money to get her a new tank etc.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back