Lake urmia newts

animalmad997

Reaction score
Country
England
Does anyone have advice or information on these newts as I was looking into getting some?

Never heard of them. It seems to be a salt lake, so I'd be surprised to hear of any newts there.

As far as I can tell they have the same kind of care as my ribbed newt but they live in Iraq so they can't be studied. As they are endangered as well they are really hard to find but I want to breed newts so why not start with one that needs some help

Are they Neurergus crocatus? If so, their care is like that of other Neurergus species. They are not common in captivity but they have seen a substantial increase in numbers in recent years. They had a "bloom" many years ago, then nobody seemed able to breed them for what felt like forever but now they are back. Hopefully their numbers will continue to grow as they are a fascinating species.

How are you hoping to help, though? Breeding them in captivity does absolutely nothing to help wild populations. I don´t know of any reintroduction efforts and if there were any it is almost certain that captive animals from the hobby would be of no use. If you like the species, you can keep it, of course, and if you succeed in breeding them that will help the captive population but not the wild ones.

Could they be kept aquatic all year round?

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back