Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Axolotl waste/poo

smiley1996

Reaction score
Hello all just wondering what is the average bowel movement for an axolotl. How many days/weeks or hours should they pass their poo. :)

auntiejude

Reaction score
All of them are different, and it depends what you feed them. My adults on worms - about every 4 or 5 days, my babies on bloodworms and daphnia - several times a day.

smiley1996

Reaction score
oh okay thankyou :) i feed mine on frozen bloodworm and brine shrimp. ive ordered some earthworms today. however my axie has done 2 proper poos (his second today) since hes been with me when i first got him he was passing gravel from the pet shop...thats has only recently stopped (about 2 weeks ago). hes only around 8-9 months old. dont know if it was the stones or his food thats done this.?

i also feed him every day more bloodworm than brine shrimp. ive had him 2 months on the 16th of this month. :)

axowattyl

Reaction score
Nothing in the aquarium world ***** like a lotl!

My tank is out on the patio, so I got one of those siphon wand things and attached a garden hose to it.

This way I can do a daily "vacuum" and just run the waste out on the lawn.

It really helps keep the waste down and water quality up.

smiley1996

Reaction score
thats an idea i havent heard of before! you guys are quite creative! its just that he doesnt poo alot? thats what im worried about theres a few people on here that says theirs poo quite frequently ... yet mine dont :S hes also had live river shrimp before and they all died seconds after they were put in his tank. he has blood worm and bring shrimp which i thought for an 8-9 month axie isnt too bad. he gets aqua safe in his water for any other vitamin he needs. soon to be getting earth worms. i dont know whether hes not getting the nutrients or just simply has a dodgy stomach? :S i find alot of mess in the bottom of the tank but its not axolotl solid poo i dont know what it is :S
thankyou for your help axowattyl :)

auntiejude

Reaction score
Blood worms and brineshrimp really are big enough for your axie - if he's 8-9 months old he must be over 6".

River shrimp shouldn't die that quick - are you sure they were river shrimp and not marine shrimp?

Poop can disintegrate quickly if you don't pick it up - you'll get a covering of brown 'flakes' across the bottom of the tank.

What do you mean by "he gets aqua safe in his water for any other vitamin he needs" ? Aqua safe is a dechlorinator.

layna

Reaction score
Have you cycled your tank before you got your axie? If you havent and you have bad water quality it will be harming your axie and could explain why the shrimp died if they are freshwater shrimp :(
You should be adding dechlorinator to every new bucket of water you put in the tank during a water change anyway :D

If your axie is bigger than 6" he should defiantly be on earthworms by now they are the best thing an axie can eat, and their tummy should be the same width as their head.
He may not be pooping enough becuase he isnt getting enough/the right food.
If you get him onto earthworms asap he should start pooping regularly :D

smiley1996

Reaction score
Oh no hes not over 6" yet last time I measured him so thats good glad im feeding him the right stuff. My brother got told they were river shrimp but coming to think of it saltwater river shrimp :S oh that may be the reason why then...however I clean his tank out every other day ? :-/ I know aqua safe is a dechlorinator however on the back it states "harmful substances in tap water are immediately neutralised: chlorine and chloramine and so are harmful metals: zinc copper and lead.
Essential elements rhat are present in natural environments are ADDED: iodine for vitality, magnesium for growth and well being.
The optimised vitamin formula reduces stress and supports long lasting health.
Gills and mucous membranes are protected by tangible colloid ingredients.
Contains bio colloids for beneficial bacteria growth which supports the crearion of clear water" so from that I can take that it does a bit more than just a dechlorinator?

Layna:
I didnt do it before I got my axie no as I wasnt aware of this :-( oh maybe il trt again at a later date is there any little fish I can give him? I want to induce natural behaviours so not everything's that easy and boring for him. Yh I put aqua safe in there every time without fail :) il have to measure him again today I think as I don't think he is but il see and post an update. I have ordered the earth worms so fingers crossed he is over 6" but I cant really remember lol

Thankyou both foe your help :)

Sent from my GT-I9305 using Tapatalk

layna

Reaction score
If hes 8-9 months old he should be around 8-9" long, from his head to his tail.
If the worms look a bit long for him, you will have to get the scissors out :p fun times haha!
He might not seem interested the first couple of times as he wont be used to them but he will soon discover how delicious they are :D

Are you cycling the tank now then, is that why you are doing water changes every other day?
Do you test with a liquid test kit?

smiley1996

Reaction score
We measured him today hes 6.3inches im gathering hes around 8-9months old as the pet shop saod they had him for around 6 months and ive had him coming up 2 :-/ I am cycling my tank and nope thats another thing waiting on arrival :)

layna

Reaction score
Axies grow faster when they are fed the right foods as he has been on bloodworm for so long (and we dont know what the pet shop has fed him) it could explain why he is so little, as soon as you get him on the earthworms he will catch up on his growth :D

Good luck with the cycling, i hated the daily water changes haha!

smiley1996

Reaction score
Thank you means alot! Hehe yh the pet shop had 6 axies in a 2 foot tank that had gravel and fed them 2 cubes of blood worm for all 6 axies (I dont personally know how well that worked out because he was 5 and a half inches when I first got him and he was the smallest out of the six :S quite confusing really :) .... thankyou for replying :)

xxianxx

Reaction score
Thank you means alot! Hehe yh the pet shop had 6 axies in a 2 foot tank that had gravel and fed them 2 cubes of blood worm for all 6 axies (I dont personally know how well that worked out because he was 5 and a half inches when I first got him and he was the smallest out of the six :S quite confusing really :) .... thankyou for replying :)

Pet shops keep feeding to a minimum with stock. It reduces food costs and tank maintenance. They try to maintain body weight rather than having them grow. Dont be overly concerned about the axolotls size , as long as it has a decent body weight it should be ok. You will probably find it grows quickly once you start feeding it earthworms.

smiley1996

Reaction score
Yh I suppose that makes sense as to why they do it but just frustrates me and makes me wonder how much they actually care about their animals haha. Thank you just want him to be a hapoy lil man by all means and from what ive heard as said on here too earth worms do alot for an axie and their appetite :D Thankyou for posting :) ...

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!