Question: How much should my axolotl eat?

omgitsbekahxD

Reaction score
Country
United States
Display Name
Bekah
Hopefully this is my last post about my injured axolotl. Long story short, she scraped her leg and it has gotten much better since. I've had her separated from my other axolotls since it happened but I've had a terrible time trying to get her to eat.

I bought some guppies and mollies to breed and feed them to my axolotls and my turtles but then I felt so bad doing it! One of my guppies just had babies yesterday which we saved about 11 from being eaten by the guppies/mollies. I just put one of my adult male guppies with my injured axolotl and she ate him within 10 minutes. Now I feel soooo guilty about it but she hasn't eaten in weeks so it was only a matter of time before she died of starvation /: so now that she has decided she wants guppies, how many should she be eating? I'm going to have to buy more since the females are too big, I'm going to raise the babies first, and I only have one male left which is needed for breeding.

I'm not sure how many of my mollies are pregnant so I'm waiting on them for a while until I do anything with them. I'm hoping once I get her eating well again I can switch her back to worms.

At this moment, my supply of worms is completely gone aside from one Ive been keeping in her tub constantly so she'll hopefully eat it. So my other three axolotls have nothing to eat at the moment either aside from nightcrawlers. I have one that will eat them, one that is too picky, and one that's just too small to eat nightcrawlers. They definitely won't starve for the next few days, so I'm not too worried about them yet.

Ill mention that I can't cut anything into pieces or cut the heads off of mealworms and then feed them. I find that much more cruel than letting the axolotls swollow something whole. If only I didn't have a heart! Haha

I've offered dried bloodworms but they wont eat them. I even tried to get my girl to eat turtle pellets to get something in her belly but she wouldn't eat those. I'm running out of options right now ): Does anybody have any advice at all for her or my other three?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back