Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Possible fungus, please help!

Chemicalico

Reaction score
I'm new to this site, and a new Axi owner (about 1 month now) and I'm concerned that my little one has something that may be a problem. About 6 inches long, I got her from a pet shop that knew nothing of them. Upon getting her, I did extensive research (mostly leading here) and have done all I can since. She has gone from gravel to sand, and has the correct ph as well as temperature (62-65) and has since passed a few small stones. She's now eating twice a day, mostly mysis shrimp, bloodworms, and earthworms, and pooping regularly, about once a day average. I know there is at least one medium sized stone still in her, but I'm doing all I can to make sure she's happy, and she finally seems to be. To my problem: the "fungus" on her gills has not gone away any, and I'm worried I it'll eventually become a bigger issue. I've tried grudging for a week, as well as salt baths, but haven't tried tea baths yet. To anyone patient enough to read this, please give any helpful advice. It's much appreciated.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

HayleyK

Reaction score
Can you post a picture? It'll really help determine what it is. And what have you been doing to treat it? What are your other water readings I.e ammonia, nitrites and nitrates?

Chemicalico

Reaction score
avahybyr.jpg
This is the best picture I have so far that shows it. It appears patchy and not so much like cotton like I've seen elsewhere online. Just got the ph and temp good. Testing ammonia and nitrates and all that today, but she still appears so happy compared to a week ago. I just want to try and take care of it early. Thank you

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

HayleyK

Reaction score
It doesn't really look like fungus to me either. Is it growing/spreading?

Shine a light on it and if it reflects it's just an iridophore and harmless.

layna

Reaction score
I would just feed her mainly earthworms at 6", thats the best food for them :D although you can feed 'treats' occasionally!

Did you cycle the tank before you got your axie?

xxianxx

Reaction score
It looks in very good condition. The distended belly indicates it may have consumed some gravel in the shop, just keep an eye on it and it should start to pass it over a few weeks. If not or if it gets worse post again.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1