Need help

lizzy1998

Reaction score
Country
Australia
I have been fridging my axolotl for a few days now, he wasn't looking so good and was floating a lot when he was in his tank. His ammonia levels and nitrate levels were way off so that's when I decided to fridge him so I could get the water back to normal. Once The water was correct I placed him back in there once the water hit normal temp. He still floated but floated to the top this time and kept trying to get back down. I have put him back in the fridge. Also he looks swollen under his mouth/ and he had white stringy stuff coming our of his bum? Has anyone had anything like this? Please help me I am worried

Not to be rude but being in the fridge may have stressed him out and caused him to become poorly. Fridging is normally only used for severe constipation or impaction. Hmm...white stringy stuff can be caused either by diet (waxworms, etc) or illness - another user had the same problem and her axolotl had a bacterial infection. Swelling around the mouth may mean he has hit his mouth on something or something has scratched the inside of his mouth, that he has an infection or parasites, or that something may be wrong with his organs.

Personally I think you need a vet for this as it sounds like it needs medical treatment and is possibly bacterial in origin. I would also try to keep him either in the tank or the fridge, as moving him from temp to temp can cause a lot of stress and make the illness worse. Try to keep him in one place (I would keep him in the tank if there aren't any others in there), keep him dark and cool, and feed regular meals. I'm not a vet, but this is what I would do. Hope this helps and that your bubby feels better soon.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back