Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Need Help with Morph ID

ChameleonCans

Reaction score
We came across something pretty interesting to us. Probably nothing special but definitely interesting. We are having a hard time IDing online with the pictures available. Originally, we thought these would all lose their gold shimmers but they are not going away. The gold shimmers are present on their bodies and gills. Some have more than others but it seems rather interesting. Any ideas??? Thanks in advance.

(Sorry for the poor pictures. They were taken with an iPhone and magnifying lens.)

Attachments

• photo 1-4.jpg
    photo 1-4.jpg
    48.8 KB · Views: 189
  • photo 2-4.jpg
    photo 2-4.jpg
    38.5 KB · Views: 185
  • photo 3-4.jpg
    photo 3-4.jpg
    53.1 KB · Views: 188

layna

Reaction score
Hey haha, theyre pretty, the gold shimmery bits are called iridophores, some axies have them.
Sometimes they decrease as the axie ages, others they dont, when you shine a light on them, they reflect it back :)

auntiejude

Reaction score
My baby wild types all have shimmery bellies too. I assume it's a camoflage thing, when seen by predators from below they appear to be sunshine!
It will be interesting to see how they develop.

ChameleonCans

Reaction score
Agreed, very interested to see how they develop. I'm excited to see how the iridophores develop on the legs and gills. They look really pretty!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1