Fungus on 3 week old larvae

Mortimer

Reaction score
Country
United States
Display Name
Sharon
Hi everyone....I could use some help. :)

I'm currently traveling for a number of interviews and am across the country from my 28 three-week-old larva, who are in the hands of a dear friend. Two of the little ones are substantially smaller than the others--maybe a third of their size but developing similarly otherwise (have front appendages, etc). These two are kept separate from the others.

My friend told me a few days ago that one of the small ones had a growth on one side of his/her gills. The way it was described, it sounds like it was/is a fungal infection. My friend was able to manually remove a good portion of the fungus with tweezers (how, I do not know...the larvae is so small and quick). Anyway, all of the "fungus" has not been removed. My friend says it doesn't appear to be getting worse, though.

I'm not sure how to treat a fungal infection in a larvae. Especially one that seems rather fragile in comparison to the others. Are salt baths indicated? I don't have almond leaves at my apartment for my friend to use, but I could order some if those would be better.

I'm also concerned about what I may have done to contribute to this. The water is changed twice a day (100%), and the temperature is low--between 63-65F. They are still fed on bbs.

Any thoughts on how to treat (or whether it would be better to wait and watch at this point) or on potential husbandry issues?

Thank you in advance. :) Also, my friend took a picture with his camera to show me, but the picture is such poor quality that I can't really see much at all.

Sharon

Yes salt baths at half strength are what is recommended I believe, and just 5 minutes at a time. As you say, they are more delicate than bigger ones.

But please be aware that little ones often don't make it....:(

Thank you! And thanks for the heads up...I seem to be quite attached to the little ones already. :/

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back