Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

My Axies Tail Looks Injured?

simlewis

Reaction score
I've recently noticed that bits of my Axolotl's tail are missing.

I've no idea why this is as he's in a tank on his own?

I read they are prone to disease and I'm hoping that he's okay!

I've attached a couple of photos in the hope someone can tell me what's wrong with my guy!

Thanks in advance :)

Attachments

• 1387098648318.jpg
    1387098648318.jpg
    160.9 KB · Views: 251
  • IMAG0101.jpg
    IMAG0101.jpg
    198.5 KB · Views: 264

Petersgirl

Reaction score
That injury looks serrated, as if it's been caught on or in something. Is there a chance he could have got it caught in the filter inlet or on some ornaments or rocks?

Failing that it may be a result of water conditions. What are your water parameters like?

PS If there's no chance at all that it's fungus - look for white cottony stuff coming off him - then you can use tea baths to soothe the sore skin that's left.

simlewis

Reaction score
To be honest, it will be the filter, the one I had previously for a brief period was too strong for him and I did notice he had gotten stuck on the intake a couple of times! Will he be okay then? And will it grow back?

layna

Reaction score
You can put some tights over the intake to stop him being sucked in :D
Yes it should do, axies are brilliant at regenerating, just make sure to feed him nice juicy earthworms and keep him cool and he should be fine :D

Petersgirl

Reaction score
Vurms and a small tea bath would be ideal. Here's the recipe for the tea bath:

• Tea bath for axolotls
    Contributed by Daniel Weiner, August 2007.
    I mainly use teabaths for minor skin problems. It may also be used with fungal problems but on that account I prefer salt baths. Tea has a slightly antifungal and antibacterial effect (resulting from tannins) and additionally it closes the pores in the skin a little bit (mainly resulting from tannin and caffeine). The skin tightens and gets some kind of protective layer, making it harder for fungi and bacteria to intrude the body. On the other hand it makes it harder for salt or medicine to reach pathogens which are already inside the body - that is the reason I do not use it on fungal infections, although a tea bath is sometimes recommended as a cure for fungal infections by some people.
    The medication is as follows: I take one bag of black tea without any additional aroma (it is important to use black tea because this kind of tea is fermented and so it has tannins) for every 10 litres of water (preferably used in a quarantine tank). This tea gets dashed with boiling water in a seperate bowl - I leave it there for at least 10 to 15 minutes so the tannins are resolved into the water. The tea has to cool down and is finally added to the quarantine water. After a week I make a bigger change of water (60% at least), the rest of the tea is removed over time by normal water changes. If you have to make more regular water changes (f.i. in a small bowl or tank) the tea concentration can be refilled. As far as I know there are no negative effects even for long term treatment.
    A similar effect (although not as strong) may have the addition of dried oak or beech leafs now and then as a precaution.
You don't have to use the tea bath but it will prevent fungus from setting in where the skin's been cut. Hope he heals well!

simlewis

Reaction score
Thanks to both of you for all your help! I'm relatively new to all of this so I'm super appreciative!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1