Eggs Hatching, Already Running into trouble!

usafaux2004

Reaction score
Country
United States
The first egg hatched around noon today. By 8PM it was dead. :(

I had moved it to clean water, same temp, etc. They are unusually active, I read they are supposed to be mellow the first day or so? I've got 3 more that hatched since then, and those are in separate containers, with low light and clean water. What type of water should I use? Parent tank water? Clean filtered? Etc?

Really need help here, I hate loosing even that first one already, and don't want to botch this completely.

Have you made sure that you have used dechlorinated water?
It sounds silly, but it does happen

First thing I thought of, but ever since I started to really keep the fish here (1.5 years or so), every test shows that we have hard water, and zero chlorine. Same water I use to do water changes for parents and for the fish tank.

I also just found one in the parents tank when feeding the parents. He looks HUGE compared to the rest of the ones hatching, I'm assuming he hatched days ago in their 20 gallon tank, and found microscopic stuff to eat? Maybe those white worms that sometimes appear when there's an excess of left over food? If I was to say size wise, he must be 30-50% longer than those hatching now.

Yeah, it's pretty obvious question, but like I said, it does happen by accident.

If you have not done so already, I would suggest, moving your baby you found from the parent's tank, or the parents will end up eating him.

Yeah, it's pretty obvious question, but like I said, it does happen by accident.

If you have not done so already, I would suggest, moving your baby you found from the parent's tank, or the parents will end up eating him.

"Tank" has been moved. Used a turkey baster to "scoop" him off the floor. He's a big boy, so TANK, based on location of birth, and size compared to siblings is appropriate. Still wondering how he survived in there. Lots of hiding places from parents, but man...what did he eat?

Hey :D
I would still use dechlorinator as it also removes chloramines and heavy metals, and then you know its not your water thats the problem :p
If it was the mothers first batch of eggs, ive read that sometimes you get a lesser percentage of survivors from the batch as opposed to an 'experienced' mother but i dont know how true that is.

How warm is your water?
What do you plan on feeding?
What tubs are you keeping the babies in?

Id use fresh dechlorinated tap water and make sure to do 100% water changes daily, making sure you wipe around the tub to remove scum (its easier to have two tubs and transfer them to the clean tub)

I also have another question that may be a bit obvious but I dont have many suggestions as of yet either.

Are you currently using filtered water? If so please stop. This would kill your babies pretty quickly.

I would also do as suggested, use tap water and use a dechlorinator even if you say there is no chroline there may be chloramine and heavy metals(but you still want hardness to the water, axies dontfare well in soft water, though a adult would fare better then a newly hatched one) thats why I dont ever recommend filtered water unless absolutely necesasary(tap water is unusable) but they need to add hardness to the water themselves using filtered water.

Also possible that they just didnt make it.. Did you catch it as soon as it hatched? Are you sure as they are amazing at hiding! Maybe it starved.. Or genetically unfit.. Or hatched before it was ready.. Many possibilities that there would of been nothing you could of done. I would be more worried if you start getting mass casualties.v

Using Tap Water, not filtered. The Four that hatched since are in water from the parents tank. Will get dechlorinator today just in case. Will it impact water hardness?

I also have another question that may be a bit obvious but I dont have many suggestions as of yet either.

Are you currently using filtered water? If so please stop. This would kill your babies pretty quickly.

I would also do as suggested, use tap water and use a dechlorinator even if you say there is no chroline there may be chloramine and heavy metals(but you still want hardness to the water, axies dontfare well in soft water, though a adult would fare better then a newly hatched one) thats why I dont ever recommend filtered water unless absolutely necesasary(tap water is unusable) but they need to add hardness to the water themselves using filtered water.

Also possible that they just didnt make it.. Did you catch it as soon as it hatched? Are you sure as they are amazing at hiding! Maybe it starved.. Or genetically unfit.. Or hatched before it was ready.. Many possibilities that there would of been nothing you could of done. I would be more worried if you start getting mass casualties.v

Why is unfiltered water bad?

Ok, using tank water from Parents, so far so good. Panic is over, I think.

Any ideas on how to cull a deformed axie? He can't swim, only wiggles when prodded. :/

Feeding went well, seeing lots of yellow bellies...made too much BBS, and gave them too much, but water will be cleaned, just gotta dose it right next time. My issue is that I'm running FOUR containers...

One with twins,
One with fraternal twins (two eggs stuck together), but these may end up in the community tub once the second frat hatches.
One with Tank, the beast baby who survived in the parents tank for days on his own.
One with all the others, so far adding up to 10 hatched, and 12 eggs still to hatch destined for the tub.

All in all that's 27 + deformed one.

You can NOT have too much food. You want lots of food. You do NOT want too much dead food. That is what kills them. That is why you do lots of water changes. Get your eye off the hatchlings. Keep your eye on the bbs.

Last edited:
You can euthanise sick babies with clove oil - a couple of drops in a pint of water, give it a good shake, use a disposable tub (or one labelled as 'clove oil only') the baby will be anaesthetised and pass away quietly. Leave it overnight to be sure, then bury it/flush it (whatever you do with yours)

I kep mine in tubs of 10, flooded them with BBS (willowcat is right, too much is better than not enough), moved them to a clean tub when the BBS died, then fed them again after a little while. I reckon half the BBS I hatched didn't get eaten, but I'd rather that than babies starving.

Panic mode is BACK ON!

My second batch of BBS, started last night, and all the eggs are clumped together at the bottom!

I kept the first one going, so the swimmers in there are still good for today, but what went wrong? I moved the ones from the first to be fed today, and will start it up right now, but what if it also turns out to be a dud?

So far I'm not loosing any, so I'm not too panicky, but this is intense.

Also, since this morning, none have hatched, but they twitch in the eggs when they feel vibration. Should I start "letting them out"? Last 10 eggs of 28 to be hatched. Today is day 20 since they were laid.

Stick the unhatched eggs in the fridge until you master the bbs hatching. Keep your eyes on the bbs. They are your key to success. Master the bbs hatch.

Any reason they clumped on the bottom ? I'm keeping the eggs in the fridge as suggest by supplier.

I am talking about the Axie eggs, unless they have already hatched.

Reactions: sde
General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back