Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Unexpected eggs.. Quick tips?

EmbryH

Reaction score
Hey guys,

So Misha surprised me yesterday by laying eggs! I'm going to attempt raising a few, but I have no experience with this. I've been reading articles and such to try and prepare, but I just wondered if any of you had any personal tips or nuggets of wisdom for me.

Also, I was thinking about possibly selling some eggs, but I have no idea about how to ship them. Any advice or personal experience-fueled stories would be great!

EmbryH

Reaction score
Also, I was looking at this kit for raising Daphnia. Does it look good? Does anyone have any Daphnia tips?

layna

Reaction score
Hey, you can ship eggs in a small watertight food tub filled to the top with water to stop sloshing, id also wrap it in polystyrene or bubble wrap to ensure it doesnt get bashed about too much :(
Raising eggs is amazing but a lot of hard work! some people use little yoghurt tubs and put one in each, others use plastic shoe containers and keep a few together that are similar sizes, just make sure you do 100% daily water changes (its easier to have two tubs and just move the axies to the clean tub so you can wipe the scum off the bottom of the dirty tub).

If you decide to cull any eggs, its generally advised to put them in the freezer if they are less than 5 days old. Dont do it any later though as they can feel :eek:
Im unsure as to how you do it if theyre older, but if you leave them in the tank the adult axies will eat them.

A turkey baster and a pippette will be very useful items with babies!

Good luck with your babies :D!

EDIT: just seen your second post.
You can buy batches of daphnia off ebay, all you need for them is a food safe tub and a culture to get you started :)
Is there a pond near you where you can get green water from?
And just feed then that and a little yeast.
You can buy that kit if you prefer but all it is, is daphnia and water, so you still need the tub ect anyway and a pack of daphnia on ebay is around £4

When your baby axies are first hatched though, they will be best on baby brine shrimp or microworms for a couple of weeks :D

EmbryH

Reaction score
Thank you for the advice!

I've got two questions now:

1. What exactly do I need to do to prepare water for the babies? I've seen talk about no filtration and aged water and such so some clarity on that would be nice.

2. Where does one buy green water/ food for Daphnia?

auntiejude

Reaction score
Use the same water as you would for your adult axies for your babies - dechlorinated tap water at room temperature. Change the water daily.

Green water should be available in a water butt or pond, it's just natural algae water. Failing that get some spirulina powder and add about half a teaspoon to a gallon of dechlorinated water, add a pinch of yeast, and you have instant daphnia food. You should wait until the water has turned clear before you add more food - overfeeding daphnia kills them.

IMHO daphnia are more trouble than they are worth. Unless you have an established culture going already it's probably best just to buy some from your LFS or on line. Mine went from BBS (for the first 3 weeks) to daphnia (for 2 weeks) and straight on to bloodowrms - first chopped, now whole. But if you want to get a culture going for future use good luck!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1