Basic Question about Sand

SuburbanGirl

Reaction score
Country
United States
Display Name
Keeper of Jacks
I have been reading on here over the last few days about how to feed worms. On a couple of the posts people mentioned that I shouldn't let the worm sit on the bottom because then Jack might eat some of the sand and get sick. I'm confused because I thought the reason I put him on sand was so that if he did eat some it would come out the other end.

I was feeding him on live blackworms and frozen bloodworms for months, and he didn't seem to have a problem. He is about 6 1/2" now, so I think he is doing just fine. Do I need to find another substrate, or can I keep the sand? Do I really have to make sure I keep the nightcrawlers suspended, or can I just drop one in the tank if I'm in a hurry?

Thanks in advance for any advice you can give!

Sand is more of a danger to smaller axies, if he's survived to 6" on sand I'm sure he'll be fine!

When they are smaller there is a danger the sand will clog up their digestive system, but once they are 6" or so there is less danger.

Most peole use a feeding jar (large jam jar) laid on its side to prevent axies ingesting sand.

If you have time it would be better to feed your axie off the ground, by hand.

Sand is more of a danger to smaller axies, if he's survived to 6" on sand I'm sure he'll be fine!

When they are smaller there is a danger the sand will clog up their digestive system, but once they are 6" or so there is less danger.

Most peole use a feeding jar (large jam jar) laid on its side to prevent axies ingesting sand.

If you have time it would be better to feed your axie off the ground, by hand.

So by this logic is sounds like I need to take the sand out of my little Jack larva tank, right? They are all about 1-2 inches, and they have been in there for about a week eating brine shrimp, and I'm just transitioning to blackworms. I guess when I get home I'll be messing with the little Jack tank!

Honestly most of mine have been raised on sand. It's more a pest to clean than anything. I sit and watch my kids eat, 98% of the time when they vacuum up sand I see them spit it right back out. Not only that but I only mine prefer having something to grip on. You might want to remove the sand anyway though due to the fact that blackworms can hide in huge bunches in sand and never get eaten but foul up the water.

Yeah, I'd remove the sand until he's a bit bigger. My babies are on a bare bottom, being fed bloodworms.

So over the weekend I took the sand out of the tank with the little Jacks. (there are 31 of them! I didn't know I had that many!) They are now in a bare bottom tank, and I have found that they are easier to see, and it is easier to clean without the sand. I'll put it back in when they start growing legs and it will make a difference. Thanks for all the great advice!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back