Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Axolotl Gender?

Aikeler

Reaction score
Hey guys my Axolotl has grown so much! He's such a cutie. But I wanted some other confirmation of his gender…he seems to be a boy from what I have observed…but I could be wrong I am not a Axolotl expert so I wanted some other opinions. I have attached some photos of his "bump". (and also just some other cute ones because he's freakin adorable and I wanna show him off :p)
(yes he is a part time model)

Attachments

• photo 1 copy 2.jpg
    photo 1 copy 2.jpg
    54.5 KB · Views: 236
  • photo 1 copy.jpg
    photo 1 copy.jpg
    97.4 KB · Views: 222
  • photo 1.jpg
    photo 1.jpg
    125 KB · Views: 322
  • photo 2 copy.jpg
    photo 2 copy.jpg
    72.2 KB · Views: 543
  • photo 2.jpg
    photo 2.jpg
    101.9 KB · Views: 215
  • photo 5.jpg
    photo 5.jpg
    58.3 KB · Views: 214

auntiejude

Reaction score
How big is he? He doesn't look big enough to sex yet, they really need to be 8" or more, but even after that they can surprise you.
That bump is pretty ambiguous, females also have a small bump, young males do too.

Reactions: Jan
E

Elise

Is that Randall!? Every few weeks I look him up on youtube to see how he is doing for some silly reason. I think we got our axolotls at around the same time and I was searching for videos on chillers when I first saw your aquarium. Very cool. Let's hope he is a boy otherwise that would be awwwwwkward.

Last edited:

Aikeler

Reaction score
Yes it is Randall :) I haven't made a new youtube video of him lately I think I will soon though since I am off for the holidays and have some extra time! He's going on about 6 months old :) How is your axolotl doing? I'd love to see some pics!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1