Top - leucistic
2nd - wildtype and albino
3rd - albino, possibly golden
Bottom - you have a leucistic, a golden albino, and some white albinos

What were the parents?

No need for a new topic so...

Leucistic or Wildtype?
IMG_4069.jpg

I'd say wild type, but probably tan rather than brown. I had a couple like that who are now a beautiful leopard spotted colour.

I'd say wild type, but probably tan rather than brown. I had a couple like that who are now a beautiful leopard spotted colour.

Just saw this...

If that's the case, then I have ZERO Leucistics like mom.

I believe Mortimer has the same issues, hers were ALL Wilds.

I have Wilds and Albinos it seems.

How is that possible? I'll ask Willowcat what kinds he's seeing, but I have obvious Albinos, obvious wilds, and these lightly speckled ones that don't look like Leucistics OR the rest of the wilds.

What gives?

Leucistics are d/d and m/m, if either parent in D/D or M/M you won't get leucistic babies.

You have to remember that wildtypes are the 'default' setting: D/-, M/-, A/-, AX/-, and although they can carry recessive genes you may not know until they breed.

I have exactly the same - my 2 wildtypes produce 75% wildtypes and 25% albinos - I can conlcude that they are both carrying a recessive albino gene, but possibly not any other recessive genes.

Leucistics are d/d and m/m, if either parent in D/D or M/M you won't get leucistic babies.

You have to remember that wildtypes are the 'default' setting: D/-, M/-, A/-, AX/-, and although they can carry recessive genes you may not know until they breed.

I have exactly the same - my 2 wildtypes produce 75% wildtypes and 25% albinos - I can conlcude that they are both carrying a recessive albino gene, but possibly not any other recessive genes.

Didn't think of that...Gues my Wild is a D/D then? That explains it, at least. A shame. I wanted some little mommys too! :/

OK so far then I can conclude:
Leucistic: d/d, A/a, unknown M status, unknown AX status.
Wildtype: D/D, A/a, unknown M status, unknown AX status.

How would AX present itself?

AX is the gene for xanthophores - yello/red pigments. It's what make golden axies golden, and presents in other colours as yellow or orange spots.

So if any of my albinos are golden, then its AX/ax at the very least. I'll have to give it more time. Same for the M to surface.

That photo seems to have a pink colour wash! Have you got a clearer photo?

Ok, so here is Tank:
IMG_0653.jpg

IMG_4070.jpg

And here are my 3 groupings of babies:

Albinos. Gold looking?
IMG_4071-1.jpg

Wilds:
IMG_4072-1.jpg

The others that look like Tank, originally I thought Leucistic.
IMG_4073.jpg

I think Tank is a paler wildtype, although I wouldn't rule out heavily pigmented leucistics for some of the others. You'll find out in a month or so!

I find it interesting that the "pale wilds" or whatever they are have no specks on gills, or down the middle of their bodies.

AX is the gene for xanthophores - yello/red pigments. It's what make golden axies golden, and presents in other colours as yellow or orange spots.

I keep thinking about this post and this picture:
IMG_4071-1.jpg

Those definitely look like yellow specks. Safe to assume I'm not going to see any ax/ax babies?

Any idea how to figure out if mom and dad are AX/AX or AX/ax? I suppose at least ONE of them has to be AX/AX? Are regular albinos ax/ax?

Yes, thats definately yellow! It will be a gorgeous golden albino, but I can't see iridophores.

The mechanism for albino colouring is dependant on all 3 other colour genes - very nicely explained with pictures here.

I think the AX gene is the hardest to determine in wild types, as there are a lot of colour variations in wildtypes themselves. My black wildtype has some beautiful gold iridophores (obviously M/- and AX/-), but I've never been convinced on the AX and M status of my other wild (brown and speckly), she may even be melanoid (no silver ring around her eyes). My leucistic is definately m/m and ax/ax, as she is completely pink with no other colour or iridophores (other than her dark eyes and a few grey freckles).

To accurately determine the genetics of any individual it takes a full family history - parents, siblings and offspring.

The distibution of colouration in babies is fascinating to watch as they develop - mine that started out like your pale ones have turned into leopard spot patterns, the darker ones are almost black. My greyish albinos have become pinky-peach - not golden but not completely pink either.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back