Question: Appropriate time to rehome axolotls

Mortimer

Reaction score
Country
United States
Display Name
Sharon
I'm sorry if this is posted somewhere else (and I'm sure it is, but I wasn't able to find it), but at what size/age/etc is it appropriate to rehome juvenile axolotls? Mine are currently just over 2" and almost all of them have their back legs. They are eating mostly blackworms.

Also, at what age/size/etc is it okay to ship them? I may not be able to ship them anytime soon anyway because of the weather, but it would be nice to know. :)

Thank you,

Sharon

I'm taking mine to private customers and friends in the new year - mine are 2 months, 2-3" and have all their legs, eating bloodworm, so they'll be over 3" and 3 months when they go.

My LFS won't take them until they are 4-5".

I'd never put a live animal in the post, so I have no idea on shipping.

I've been told and seen that once theyre well onto black worms/blood worms and have all 4 legs in fully, you can post out if the weather permits. I've received some that small from willowcat, and have known others to be shipped out at that size.

As another washingtonian I'd tell you to wait till spring to ship unless it's over night. The post offices are usually pretty good but during december and january post is slowed down because of how much there is. You'll also want to fast them in separate containers for 2/3 days before you send them out. Post up an ad on CL and see if anyone locally wants some, you might be surprised and have people around want to take them over having to post out.

Also, if you're going to ship in February, try to do it towards the beginning of the month as around the end they have to do...I can't remember exactly what it was, but my mom works there and she said something that was a pain to deal with goes on around then, and how giddy she was that her vacation coincided with it.

Well you learn something new every day. It's a good thing we have you around Zerrin XD

You have no idea how creepy it was when I would tell my mom about something that happened at school that involved another kid and she would just from hearing the last name spew out exactly where they lived.

Oh, and trying to get away with screwing around with friends while I should have been studying? Not when every postal worker in town was watching :uhoh:

Glad my knowledge was at least a little helpful though :p

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back