Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Question: Sexing my axies.

Jawdoss

Reaction score
I have two 18 Month axolotls.
I am trying to sex them, and i was wondering if you could give me your opinion. I think they might be male and male. The breeder thanks that they could possibly be a male and female. Is it too soon to tell?
They are 14cm long, and are 18 months old.

IMAG0691.jpg

IMAG0690.jpg

layna

Reaction score
They dont appear to have huge lumps, my males have a quite obvious bulge :rolleyes:
Id hazard a guess at female but i dont have much experience on it haha.

Jawdoss

Reaction score
They dont appear to have huge lumps, my males have a quite obvious bulge :rolleyes:
Id hazard a guess at female but i dont have much experience on it haha.

Im really hoping there at least one male, or hopefully two. I already have 2 females. Ideally it would be great if they were both males so that i have a 2 males and 2 females.

Morrison

Reaction score
They don't look full grown to me. 14 cm is pretty tiny for accurate sexing. But for now I think the first one is a female and that the second one has more of a slight "I'm becoming a male, one day" bump.

xxianxx

Reaction score
They don't look full grown to me. 14 cm is pretty tiny for accurate sexing. But for now I think the first one is a female and that the second one has more of a slight "I'm becoming a male, one day" bump.

They are 18 months old, they should be sexable.

auntiejude

Reaction score
They are 18 months old, they should be sexable.
True, but 14cm is pretty small for 18 months, I would expect them to be 20-25cm at that age.

They may be slow growers and still have some growing to do. And it's hard to tell from those photos.

sde

Reaction score
Ok, I have zero experience with axolotls but I do with other ambystomas. And to me, it looks like the first is female and the second could be male. The second could also be female, it is hard to tell, but I have my money on the second being a male.

Good luck!

Alkylhalide

Reaction score
If they are old enough to be sexed I would say female and female. But if they are only 14cm then I would say they may not be 18months? Mine were that size at 4-5months and are now 11inches.

I always tell me never assume they are female until you are 100% they are not male. You cant mistake a set of balls but you can see them magically appear over night
hubu4u9a.jpg

This is echo. Sometimes I find it easier to sex by looking at a male and a female. I looked for a side view of one of my females and I dont have one on my phone.

Jawdoss

Reaction score
If they are old enough to be sexed I would say female and female. But if they are only 14cm then I would say they may not be 18months? Mine were that size at 4-5months and are now 11inches.

I always tell me never assume they are female until you are 100% they are not male. You cant mistake a set of balls but you can see them magically appear over night
hubu4u9a.jpg

This is echo. Sometimes I find it easier to sex by looking at a male and a female. I looked for a side view of one of my females and I dont have one on my phone.

I double checked with the breeder and he sad that they were roughly 18 months. They are about 16/17cm

lovesheraxies

Reaction score
They both look female to me but I agree with the others 14cm is very small for 18 months, that is barely 6 inches, they should be fully grown by now surely if 18 months of age is correct? I've always went by 7-8 inches for sexing.

Dipsy66

Reaction score
I'd say both were female...have attached pics of my male and female, you can see the VERY obvious difference with the male having a very pronounced bulge......mine are 10 - 11 inches long and 15 months old.

Am 100 % sure on this sexing as my female laid me a huge batch of eggs on Boxing Day :ufo:

Attachments

• 25 (14).jpg
    25 (14).jpg
    70.6 KB · Views: 2,841
  • 14 (4).jpg
    14 (4).jpg
    49.6 KB · Views: 365
General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1