Axolotl food

HayleyK

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Display Name
Hayley
Went to my local pet store to get some brine shrimp for my axolotls. It's listed for aquarium use/chicilids food but when I went in today I found specified axolotl frozen food cubes. It listed prawns, mussels, squid, octopus and algae. There were other things listed but I don't remember what they were. There was a lot of seafood, and was curious if this was a suitable option since the things listed above do not come from the natural habitat.

Thoughts?

I guess fish/mollusc protein is OK, but it's the algae that has me worried - axies are carnivorous and don't eat algae.

What brand is it?

My initial reaction is no, but I'd like to read the blurb first.

I don't recognize the brand but next time I'm in, maybe in a few days I can get a photo of it if interested? I thought the algae and squid/octopus was a bit odd. Can they digest squid/occy? It also had the consistency of beef heart.

I've heard Hikari are making axolotl food, I haven't seen any yet but i've used lots of their frozen and pelleted food over the years and never had any issues.
I used to feed my axolotls a lot of sinking trout pellets when earthworms were hard to find, i'd say 50% of their diet was the trout pellets and they were always happy and healthy, the worst thing about pellets or frozen seafood that they can foul the water quickly if not eaten.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back