Eggs

beverleyx

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
does the colour of the parents depend on the egg colour ?

ive got 2 axis, a female Albino and White (also called Leucistic) male, today for the 1st time ever ( they are a year old next month ) ive seen what look like jelly covered polystyrene balls from a bean bag in the tank , are these viable eggs ? :eek:

Yes and yes! Albinos lay white eggs, but they may develop into any color babies. What you've described certainly sounds like eggs, a photo would confirm it.

great , ill take some pictures, the "blobs" have changed into tiny kidney bean shapes already
:)
:p

I have eggs laid on 23rd/24th, they are just starting to change shape too.

You have about 2 weeks (eek!) from laying until the first ones hatch, so if you're going to keep some you need read up on rearing, and get prepared with a brineshrimp hatchery and some tubs.
I would suggest if you've never raised eggs before that you keep a dozen or so and freeze the rest.

thanks jude you're very helpful , mine appeared about 23rd/24th also
today I went out and purchased brine shrimp eggs , aquarium salt and 2 x 2ltr bottles as in the pictures tutorials re raising brine shrimp , I already have the air pump ( with stone) so that the flow of air is fine , im now just awaiting the pitter patter of tiny axis :) I have a heat lamp as I have parrots so can keep the shrimp warm and light :p

Since my wife wouldn't let me keep a lamp on all day...I got aqua heaters. A 5watt gets me 78f, a 10 watt did 86f, but a 7.5watt got me 82f. Perfect. :)

I already have the air pump ( with stone)

You don't need an airstone, you need large bubbles to keep the water mixed.

Do you know the genetics of your axies? Can you predict the babies you'll get?

all I know is that they are both Pink lol ,mums got pink eyes and daddy has black eyes :eek: my Fry are now wiggling in their eggs too :rofl: and are obviously axis :) you can see the gills and definition of tails on most , I have about 30 wiggling grains of Basmati rice out of about 60 eggs , some of them haven't changed but have no signs of going off as they are still perfectly while balls in clear sacks , very odd, shrimp are also hatching :)

It's exciting but heartbreaking too.....I kept 16 eggs, one had twins it. All 16 hatched, but the twins died within minutes of hatching.

They are now about a week old.....I gave 4 back to the breeder, she lost the two smaller ones within 24 hours of having them. I've lost a few and have 6 live, largish babies still going strong. Am doing everything I have been advised on here so am keeping my fingers crossed I can keep the 6 I have left going.

Not a great pic but here's two of my babies :happy:

Good luck with yours.

Attachments

• 2013-12-29 20.51.26.jpg
    2013-12-29 20.51.26.jpg
    153.2 KB · Views: 170
got home from work today and a lot of babies have hatched , at least 3 days early to my calculations , are they too young still , they are all about 6mm in length , and are perfect little Axis :)
1_zpsef7f8a24.jpg

3_zps4495b3ea.jpg

They'll be fine - text book says 14 days, reality says anything from 11-25 days depending on temperature.
Unfortunately mine all seem to have perished :-(

not counting my chickens hun , this is the 1st time ive had them x

They'll be fine - text book says 14 days, reality says anything from 11-25 days depending on temperature.
Unfortunately mine all seem to have perished :-(

So sorry to hear your news Jude :(, that's the heartache :(......touch wood my 6 are still going strong, no losses today :happy:......

Spotted a few more eggs I'd missed in the big tank today and they are all forming into babies...am just going to keep an eye on things, if any hatch will endeavour to save the babies from the mums......

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back