Got a chunk missing from tail but no tank mate?

chloemack821

Reaction score
Country
United States
My axolotl had what looked like a broken blood vessel on its tail a little while ago and I've been trying to watch it. Now today I just noticed a big chunk of its tail is missing. I had it in an almost empty tank cause its been really floaty but it had calmed down so I just left it in there a couple weeks with normal water changes. What would cause its tail to chunk off like that? Should I be concerned?

Axies can catch their tail on anything! It could be he got caught on an ornament, he could even have bitten himself - do you have a picture so we can see the position and size of the injury?

The tank is completely empty besides a thermometer...and I feel like its too big of a chunk for her to of bitten herself...

Pic is after I put her back in her normal larger tank. Am think the tank was too small for it maybe? Chunk was missing before back in the normal tank...

Attachments

• IMG_20131226_163557.jpg
    IMG_20131226_163557.jpg
    75.5 KB · Views: 675
What auntiejude said.

I swear, one time Albus literally whirled around and ripped a chunk out of HIS OWN TAIL. To make matters worse, I had just given him a worm about 5 minutes prior, so he really had no excuse.

Sometimes axolotls can be very special little snowflakes...

If you're worried about infection, pop him in the fridge for a night to give the wound a little bit of time to close, then give him a worm and, if all looks well, put him back in his tank.

If you're lucky, it's a clean bite. Albus still had a bad shred dangling from his tail, and it started to degrade so I actually had to cut it off with some sterilized scissors. The little goon didn't even react when I did it, and it's healing just fine now.

Edit: That's a pretty clean cut. I'd keep an eye on it, but it doesn't even look like he needs to be fridged. Lucky! :)

Although from the looks of it, I'd be more worried about the marbles you have in the tank. He could swallow those, and then you'll be in a much worse situation... I'd remove those

I thought they would be big enough but I'm still learning. She really is a special snowflake lmao.

Thanks for the advice!

To be fair, I can't see the size of her head in the picture, so they may be big enough, but in my experience axolotls can always surprise you with what they can actually fit in their mouths x) Also there's the worry of her eventually growing big enough to eat them, perhaps without you noticing in time.

If they're significantly wider than her head, then it should be ok, but it's definitely something to keep in mind as she grows. Ya don't want to risk your gorgeous axie :)

I agree with Embry, I would definitely remove all stones and have bare bottom, sand or slate (although I have issues with sand because of the compaction risk). Even large stones can be swallowed, with dangerous consequences. I wouldn't want to risk a gorgeous axxie either :)

It's a very clean, smooth cut. I can't help thinking she must have bitten herself - after all, if she's tried to vacuum it it won't cause a lacerated cut unless she's done it really hard or got it on her 'grippy' teeth at the back of her mouth. You could tea bath, but I've had cuts like that and not used tea, and they've healed fine and cleanly just with cool water and food. It's up to you really.

I concur about the stones - better safe than sorry.

That missing chunk look exactly the same shape as when one of mine got bitten by another - axie mouth shaped! Axies aren't that smart, it's quite possible for one to mistake it's own tail for food and try for a bite.

But as said before, it should heal without incident given time and clean water - it's one thing axies are very good at.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back