Fungus?

Meleficia

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi all!

I'm a fairly new Axie owner and I just noticed a white cottony (I'm assuming fungus) thing in his tank. It doesn't seem to be affecting him, but it is killing my plants. Is there anything safe I can dose the tank with?

Water Quality is a follows:
Changed 3x/week using aged RO water
PH: 8.0
Ammonia: Barely registering
NitrIte: 0
NitrAte: barely registering (it's water change day)
Temp 65 F

In my area the most available brands are: Seachem, API, and Marineland.

Thanks for the help! :D

Can you post pictures? Is it just on the bottom of the tank, or is it on the plants?

Here's the best pic I can get, the only camera I have is my cell phone :(.
The stuff is on the plant and his hidey log.

Attachments

• IMAG0050_BURST001.jpg
    IMAG0050_BURST001.jpg
    206.4 KB · Views: 189
  • IMAG0051.jpg
    IMAG0051.jpg
    178.4 KB · Views: 171
I'm not entirely sure, but it looks similar to something that grew on my wooden log when I first added it to my tank. It was harmless, but if your plant is dying or sick, I'd move it to a separate container until that gets sorted out. If nothing else, you don't want it mucking up your water quality by rotting.

One thing that is concerning from your pictures, though, is the substrate you're using. Pebbles or gravel is strongly advised against when it comes to keeping salamanders, especially axolotls. It can be very dangerous, because an axolotl can swallow the stones and become impacted, then die.

If you want a nice substrate for your tank, use a silica-based sand. You can get it for very cheap, and it's much safer than pebbles. There are even threads in this subforum about how to treat axolotls who have swallowed stones... unfortunately, there aren't many options for treatment, so the best option is to prevent it in the first place. I'd remove those if I were you.

Slime mold? Pic>
slime_mold.jpg
I got this off CC, could it be this?

Did you quarantine your plants or wood before you put them in the tank? It's good practice to keep anything you're going to add to your tank separate in a small tank for a few weeks to ensure nothing it ging to harm your axies. You could have snail eggs, worms, fungus, bugs etc.

Whatever it is (it doesn't look like fungus) it probably won't harm your axies.

I'd remove the plant and wood, keep it in a bucket or small tub antil it goes away or you can remove it.

If you have a little google on the internet the opinion is not to use RO water for axies. Its has had all minerals ect removed and isnt good for them :(

Unless you have major problems with your tap water (high ammonia ect) then tap water with a dechlorinator is fine for then.
I personally use API stress coat as it has aloe in it and is a reasonable price :D

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back