First timer! :)

lovetobake

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Hi all!
For Christmas, I received a long awaited axolotl with a tank etc.. He is two years old, black and his name is Juan. As I didn't have time to run the filter for a week as suggested by the pet stores I've had to just put him in there and hope for the best.. So far, he's been alright, I think.
So I was wondering how you guys keep your tank cool? My temperature is fluctuating between 23-24 degrees.. I have tried ice bricks by recommendation of the pet shop and letting a fan running over the water, neither have worked. I did notice though that when I put the ice brick in, he sat next to it. I bought a digital thermometer and thought it was broken maybe so bought a mercury one but it says the same.. My partner has been changing the ice bricks every couple of hours.
Also, what is the best food for him? I have been giving pellets, two once a day. Was considering giving blood worms but pet shop advises against it.

Is there anything else you can all recommend? I currently have a 50L tank. Rocks at the bottom (was going to go sand but was told not to) and a couple of hides. My filter is turned all the way down as I've read they don't like flowing water.. My ph is perfect, right around 7.2. I never have the tank light on as I don't want to heat the water. He is near a window (no where else has room) but the shutters are closed and he is as far as possible away from it.. I am a breastfeeding mother so do not have all the time in the world however my partner seems to be in love lol, he sat there for an hour the other day watching him do nothing. We are trying our hardest to make the little guy as comfortable and as happy as possible. We have already spent our budget and beyond on him, especially trying to get this water temperature down! We eventually plan to get a bigger tank and hopefully give him a friend :)

Food = worms. Thats all an adult axie needs, juicy earthworms. Bloodworms will do, they are a staple for smaller axies, but you'll find an adult gets through an awful lot of them. Pellets are OK as a standby. And 90% of pet shops know NOTHING about axies - take anything they say with a pinch of salt.

Realistically the only way to keep a tank cool where you are would be a chiller. With the heat you have over there in an average summer it's the best option, and it's not cheap - sorry!

If you didn't have time to cycle your tank you need to test the water frequently and change the water if any of the N compounds get too high. But one axie in a 50L should be too bad.

Sand is fine in an adult axie tank, rocks will just trap food and waste.

Otherwise you're doing fine - just get some worms, and get the temp down.

If you can't move the tank to a cooler part of the house, another method you can use is keep a 2 liter bottle of water in the fridge at all times so you can do a small water change to add some cooler water. Also, aside from ice bricks (made of treated, dechlorinated water!) bottles of frozen water can also help.

Hi all!
For Christmas, I received a long awaited axolotl with a tank etc.. He is two years old, black and his name is Juan.

Congrats!

As I didn't have time to run the filter for a week as suggested by the pet stores I've had to just put him in there and hope for the best.. So far, he's been alright, I think.

I know most people don't like when a tank isn't cycled, but you can probably make do, as long as you check the parameters regularly.

So I was wondering how you guys keep your tank cool? My temperature is fluctuating between 23-24 degrees.

That's actually quite a bit high for an axie. You really should try to keep it under 21, and preferably lower.

I have tried ice bricks by recommendation of the pet shop and letting a fan running over the water, neither have worked. I did notice though that when I put the ice brick in, he sat next to it. I bought a digital thermometer and thought it was broken maybe so bought a mercury one but it says the same.. My partner has been changing the ice bricks every couple of hours.

Ice bricks? Fill up 500ml water bottles and use that. If one isn't working, use two. I'd throw in some icecubes as well if your fridge makes them.

Also, what is the best food for him? I have been giving pellets, two once a day. Was considering giving blood worms but pet shop advises against it.

Bloodworms are good but messy. Earthworms are best

Is there anything else you can all recommend?

You didn't mention his size.

I currently have a 50L tank.

That's fine for one axie.

Rocks at the bottom (was going to go sand but was told not to) and a couple of hides.

How big are these rocks? If they are smaller than his head, get rid of them ASAP. He can potentially swallow them, causing impaction or even death. Not sure who said no sand, but many use sand or bare bottom. Unless these are BIG rocks, those two options are better.

My filter is turned all the way down as I've read they don't like flowing water..

I use one of the decorations to break the water flow. Could also get a spray bar filter, but I haven't seen any I personally like in that style.

My ph is perfect, right around 7.2. I never have the tank light on as I don't want to heat the water. He is near a window (no where else has room) but the shutters are closed and he is as far as possible away from it..

I know you're in "summer" right now where you live, but that still may contribute to your temperature troubles.

I don't know how big your "bricks" are. But I've gone 3 Aussie summers with no fungal infections or death as a result of temperature by using the ice bottle method and fan. I use the juice bottles you can get from woolies or Coles (the big 3L) ones (my tank is about 3 times the size). I usually have it sit around 21 degrees. So maybe use 1L-2L ice bottles instead of the bricks. The only problem with this method I find is that it can drop rather quickly, as in a few degrees in an hour or two, but it manages to stay down for long amounts of time.

As for the hot days that are 32 degrees Celsius and up, I place them in a tub, pop then into an esky and use one bottle in there. I don't use a big bottle as the temperature will drop a lot, so a 500mL does fine for hours, and when the days "cool" off it doesn't take long for them to adjust to the tank as it is only a few degrees difference.

Thanks for the advice guys! Until about the 15th of January we won't be able to afford a water cooler. Until then we will keep going with ice bricks and water bottles etc.
the pet store said not to use worms for a while until the tank has settled but I will go and get some anyway as I don't want to starve my poor fella :)
Do you have any recommendations as to what water cooler and where I am able to purchase one? I went to petbarn to look and they didn't stock any. Thanks so much!

Oh and the rocks are huge, much bigger than his head. We originally had gravel but changed it ASAP. My mum wasn't aware that it was a danger.
As to his size, I'd say he's about 20-25cm, give or take a cm.

I haven't had much luck with finding many chillers - where abouts in sydney are you situated?

St George area, there is a couple of aquarium shops near me but I haven't been able to visit them yet unfortunately

If this works, please note this is my boy in his old tank at my mums. Those are not the stones I am using.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    95.2 KB · Views: 156
If you havent cycled the tank id do around 10% daily water changes just to stop the levels getting out of control :D
It will eventually cycle itself if you keep up with tank maintenance hehe.

Yeah earthworms are the best, and if you dont want to touch them, invest in some reptile feeding tongs, these and a turkey baster are brilliant axie tools :D!

Sand is fine for an adult axie, just dont feed them on the floor, the rocks sound okay but all the bits of poop and uneaten food will just fall through the gaps and make the tank messy, you could do a bare bottom tank or add sand instead :)

Hi,

I found that using a fan, ice bottles and wrapping a wet towel around the tank helps to keep it cool.

Those rocks aren't suitable. Any rock should be larger than the axolotls head, otherwise it may eat it which can block their digestive tract. It's surprising what an axolotl can fit in it's mouth, I'd say the substrate is a risk.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back