Urgent!!

stephaniejo

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi everyone

I have a little dilema at the moment. Four days ago all my worms died. Like literally all of them. I think it was to cold or something but anyway....i ordered more worms as soon as they died but they are not going to be here for another week. Ive literally looked everywhere for some sort of food to give my axie but i cant get anything in my area!!! No pellets no worms no nothing. So by the time the worms get here it will be eleven days of him not eating. So im guessing he is going to starve???? Or can he last that long without food?? Hes around 24cm and a nice weight but im unsure how long he can go without his worms :(. Also are there any alternative things i can get him short term to keep him going. I was maybe thinking of getting a heart from the butchers and feeding him that but is it suitable for him?? I would greatly appreciate your input

No on the beef heart. Where in the UK are you?

Do you have a LFS near you? Or a Garden centre with a pet department?
You should be able to get any of the following from them: frozen or live bloodworms, river shrimp, crickets (you have to pull thier legs off!), waxworms, maggots or mealworms. As a last resort you can try raw prawns or white fish, just cut them into strips and soak them first to remove some of the salt.

You may even be able to get worms or maggots from a bait shop.

If you can't find anything you need to fridge your axie to slow down his metabolism so he doesn't need food, adjust your fridge to 8C, keep in a tub at the top covered in a tea towel, change all the water daily.

You also need to figure out why your worms died - were they in a bucket outside and got waterlogged in the rain? did they get frozen, poisoned, dried out - or what?

If he started at a normal weight, I would expect him to be fine for a week with no food. I had some axies that were about 12-13 cm get lost in the mail and not be delivered for 19 days. 5 of the 6 axolotls in that box were alive and healthy (although skinny). Considering that I had fasted them for 3 days before shipping, they were without food for over 3 weeks. The new owner updated me later that they were doing fine.

By the way, I'd packed them in oxygen, which I'm sure played a big role in why they were able to survive in their bags for that long.

Hi thanks for your quick replies. Ive checked for suitable food with every pet shop and tackle shop within a 10 mile radius and nothing. I cant get any further due to not having a car. I think i can get some raw prawns easily so i will try that. As long as he isnt going to starve to death then im happy. I forgot to feed the worms btw hah. Leading upto xmas i just didnt even think of feeding them so its my own fault

Have you tried any gas stations? That's where I usually get mine.

Have you tried any gas stations? That's where I usually get mine.
Not in the UK! All you get at petrol stations here are chocolate bars, droopy cut flowers and coffee.

@stephaniejo: I will put a handful of worms from my worm farm in the post to you to keep you going for a few days if you really can't find anything else if you cover the postage - PM me if you want me to

I'd definitely fridge him to slow his metabolism. He'll be hungry after a week but definitely not starving to death!

At the local fish store, they will have live shrimp (red cherry/river/ghost ect) and will most likely have frozen bloodworm.
My local one also sells salmon pellets and these are okay for axies :D

Not in the UK! All you get at petrol stations here are chocolate bars, droopy cut flowers and coffee.

@stephaniejo: I will put a handful of worms from my worm farm in the post to you to keep you going for a few days if you really can't find anything else if you cover the postage - PM me if you want me to

I wish i checked my post on this forum. I literally had To travel 40 miles on the train to get them in the end. Not a single place in my area sold them the all looked at me stupid when i asked for worms, pellets, blood worms or brine shrimp. But thank you so much for offering. Our worms arrived in the post this morning so ive got them some food scraps ready so i dont forget to feed them again haha. Tyrant is extremley happy now :)

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back