Will a tank divider help prevent breeding?

Alkylhalide

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Quick question, will putting up a tank divider stop breeding? Or help it at least?

I made a diy one tonight as no petstore had one big enough for my tank and put it in the tank hoping that maybe it will at least stop the frequency lol. I mean I know males lay sperm sometimes randomly and I guess it could somehow make it to the other side?

I dont really have the room to set up my 25gallon, maybe someday and that way I could just remove my two females from the tank.

It should do, assuming they don't knock it down or get past it.

What did you make it out of? A good DIY project is always worth sharing :happy:

Hah :). I am not sure if it is a good diy project but i could not find a tank divider that was 18" wide so I had no choice but to make shift something :p
seqagy7a.jpg

Dont mind the dirty tank and how empty it looks. Its still a work in progress and I need to do a water change :p but I snaped a quick picture to show you.

All I took was two pieces canvas?(i dont remember what its called now) and some fishing line and weaved two pieces to get the proper width. Its 13.5" high and I dont fill my tank to the top so it worked perfect. I have two large suction cups on the bottom and one on each side to keep it in place. Hopefully they dont knock it down. Lol.

I did a few tests to test the durability and it seems pretty strong even though it looks flimsy, there is room for it to bow and bend but the suction cups do a good job at ultimately keeping it in place. They really hate it expecially texas and nike(my females) because i have one hide in that tank that all 5love to squeeze into together and it is on the male side. Lmao! I will have to rotate it or buy a second one.

It cost me 6$ to make it. 2$ for the mesh and 4$ for the suction cups(but it came with 12 and i used 4) so it was really cheap. And it was very easy to make.

I was about to make one of these DIY setups for my tank at college, so it's good to see it worked for someone else :)

Nice job!

My only concern is that your axies will push at the sides/edges until they give and allow them through.

Let us know how it's going as time goes on.

That is my concern as well. But one day at a time. So far so good. I will work out bugs as they come. Lol so far when they push on it it doesnt move.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back