Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Axolotl costs at shows

nadinemccarthy

Reaction score
We are having a repticon show near us in the next week or so. We are still looking for a couple of melanoid axolotls and are considering going to see if they have any. However, admittance and parking is quite high and we are wondering if the prices for axolotls are going to be low enough to make it worth going. We are not interested in other items that might be there.

So my question is if anyone has gone to these shows and if so, what kind of prices do the dealers ask for baby axolotls.

usafaux2004

Reaction score
We are having a repticon show near us in the next week or so. We are still looking for a couple of melanoid axolotls and are considering going to see if they have any. However, admittance and parking is quite high and we are wondering if the prices for axolotls are going to be low enough to make it worth going. We are not interested in other items that might be there.

So my question is if anyone has gone to these shows and if so, what kind of prices do the dealers ask for baby axolotls.

We went to an animal expo to get our axies, but knew ahead that there would be a seller, and he had stock. Our entry was $5, free parking, and we paid $25 each for 6" long axies. Of course the LFS (which never has any axies), at one point sold them for $75 each, so there's that to factor in as well.

nadinemccarthy

Reaction score
At this show in Concord NC, they want $20 for 2 adult tickets and $5 parking which puts us at $25 right off the bat. I just purchased 2 axolotls for $35 total which includes shipping though they are likely to be 3-4 inch ones when they arrive here.
So basically it will probably cost me more at the show when I factor in the ticket and parking. Shipping delayed due to holidays.

I appreciate the reply, it does give me an idea of what to expect. We also don't even know if any dealers of axolotls are going to be there.

usafaux2004

Reaction score
At least here, the organizers require vendors to hold permits/tell them what they have. Perhaps the organizers can tell you of anyone will have axolotls? Worth the email/call to save money/time.

michael

2010 Research Grant Donor
Reaction score
Usually at the Hamburg Pa. show we sell axolotls from 10.00 to 100.00 depending on type and size. I would expect similar prices at other shows.

nadinemccarthy

Reaction score
Thanks. I've wrote to see if any dealers has said they are selling them. That at least gives me a starting point.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!