Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Misleading adverts?

auntiejude

Reaction score
I was doing a bit of searching on the internet earlier today, just checking prices as my juvies are ready to move on (sniff) and I have come across some very misleading adverts for axies:

Leucistic advertised as albino
Brown melanoid sold as 'rare'
Wildtype sold as melanoid
Eggs and larvae advertised as 'harlequin' parent but obviously leucistic (not even piebald)
An ad asking for 'any rare colour'
And someone asking for a GFP axie in the UK (they are illegal here as a GMO)

It just goes to show that this forum is one of the better places to get your axies - at least you can usually trust a breeder to be honest about what colour the axie is! And if they get it wrong - an honest mistake I'm sure - someone will (politely) correct them....

What other weird/misleading/obvious lies in ads have you found?

EmbryH

Reaction score
I've found uninformed articles here and there about how axolotls can be kept at 72F or how they're only 6" in average, can be kept on pebbles, ect. No adds or anything though.

The one you found sounds like a doozy

Alkylhalide

Reaction score
Ive seen that gravel is okay as long as they are small

Ive seem an ad for rare pearl axolotls(melanoid leucistics) lol

layna

Reaction score
My very own stitch was 4 weeks old when i bought him,i was specifically looking for 'a pink one'.
I found the advert stating there was three pink axies left, so i bought him, when he arrived he looked like this
baby stitch.jpg
Then when he grew, he turned into this
big stitch.jpg

Defiantly NOT pink! I later saw he was advertising more pink lottles so i messaged the seller to politely inform him, he had his colourings wrong.
Surprisingly never received a reply :p

Morrison

Reaction score
I saw an advert of a skinny leucistic. In a 50 cm tank. He called it a 'kind of fish', it was on gravel and if you buy the 'fish', you'll get the heater for free.
:uhoh:

Petersgirl

Reaction score
My baby boy was advertised as a 'black axolotl' in my LFS. He is a Wildtype with a brown body, gold iridophores, a grey tummy and a golden eye ring >.<

Galaxy was advertised as an 'albino.' She was five and a half inches and was quite clearly a very pale Golden. Their prices varied from £15 for Toothless, to £15 for a Golden Albino larvae...and £10 for a Golden Albino at 5 and half inches! That pricing is crazy. Generally speaking the bigger the axxie the more expensive it is, but my Golden cost less than a Golden Albino baby. Weird. Probably because they didn't realise Gally was a Golden and just thought she was a regular albino.

The LFS now has them labelled as 'axolotls' so they can't be accused of getting it wrong, lol! If anyone asks me what colour they are, I'm like, 'give me a torch and I'll tell you.'

auntiejude

Reaction score
I saw an advert of a skinny leucistic. In a 50 cm tank. He called it a 'kind of fish', it was on gravel and if you buy the 'fish', you'll get the heater for free.

:eek: :nono:
How can anyone really be that stupid? If you google 'fish with legs' you'll soon figure out what it is!

EmbryH

Reaction score
:uhoh:

you'll get the heater for free

oh my gods, it's like they're trying to be terrible

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!