Recently Injured Axolotl not moving in new tank

Req

Reaction score
Country
United States
I can't seem to find a thread with an issue similar to mine, so I decided the best way to see what is going on with my little guy would be to create a new thread.

I have two axolotls (one dark melanoid, Nero, and one white melanoid,Maeve) that were living in a 20 gallon tank together. They are about 6 to 7 inches at the moment and were starting to feel cramped in their 20 gallon due to space taken up by hides in the tank. On a side note: I had been planning on buying a bigger 55gallon tank and went ahead and got it and began cycling it getting it ready for Maeve and Nero.

Before I could change them to the bigger tank, my white melanoid got a little aggravated by Nero and nipped his leg. He had a good chunk missing from his leg so I immediately moved him to a sick tank and over the course of a number of days lowered the temperature slowly to avoid any excess bacteria growth. I also did 100% water changes to make sure his leg was staying clean. He did fine with the bare bottom tank and the 100% water changes. His leg was healing quickly and he was eating normally. When I separated the two of them I did notice a change in both Maeve and Nero's behavior. It was not enough of a change in Nero to cause alarm, in fact he was moving his leg much more than I anticipated and he looked like he was healing quickly.

After a week of him being in a sick tank, Nero began to show signs of stress. Raising his gills, curing his tail. He also began to flick his gills more often and staying very still. After a day or two of his drastic change from the active axie he normally is, I decided to tank him from the sick tank. By this time we had our 55 gallon tank set up with Maeve already accustomed to it. I was worried that the smaller sick tank and the frequent water changes were starting to stress him out and it was time to return to a normal tank environment.

I assumed since they have been tank mates for some time (about 8 months) that the reintroduction didn't need to be drawn out. I slowly put Nero into the tank and was sure to have them on separate sides at first. It was Maeve who came over to Nero first very slowly. She would come close to him them turn around. Nero sat in the same spot for a while. Finally after about 10 minutes of him being completely still he darted to one of the hides and sat there. He has been staying in the same hide for 2 days now. He only will go out of the back side of the hide briefly then wander back inside. He seems fine with Maeve's presence. He comes to visit him in the hide often by sticking her head inside, sitting there for a comment then turning around. She has been sleeping right next to the hide as well while Nero is there.

One other thing that seems really odd is the fact that he is not moving towards my hand anymore. He used to be the most responsive when it came to feeding and being very inquisitive if I reach my hand inside. I tried to coax him out by letting him follow my finger (which he normally will do) but he instead backs up further into the hide. I am not sure if he is still stressed, but I am worried. His injury is looking great and I am keeping tabs on the water quality to make sure he has no chance of infection. He is still eating normally, he just doesn't seem to be interacting like he normally would with the tank, his tank mate, and me. Is there anyone who has any advice for me? I don't think that he is sick (at least physically he looks fine), but he is lethargic. I am worried about how his injury might be affecting his adjustment to the new tank and vise versa. Any advice?

About the pictures:
The first one was taken right after his injury. I couldn't get a clear picture of the underside of his leg (which is the side that is missing a chunk) but this picture shows him when it was first cut with him favoring it. The second is him in the hide that he won't leave. He is hard to take pictures with due to his color.

Attachments

• IMG_20131225_222111.jpg
    IMG_20131225_222111.jpg
    64.5 KB · Views: 476
  • IMG_20131231_175559.jpg
    IMG_20131231_175559.jpg
    65.9 KB · Views: 324
Some axies sulk - they get over it eventually.
If the injury is healing it will be fine, but having been cooped up in a 'sick tank' for a few days he may be stressed and sulky. Give him a few days, tempt him out with worms, leave him be and he'll be back to normal soon enough.

Some axies sulk - they get over it eventually.
If the injury is healing it will be fine, but having been cooped up in a 'sick tank' for a few days he may be stressed and sulky. Give him a few days, tempt him out with worms, leave him be and he'll be back to normal soon enough.

That's what I was hoping to hear. Thank you, I needed a little reassurance I will give an update as soon as he starts to get out and about in the tank. For now the most he has moved is to a nearby hide and that is where he's been for a day except for when he comes out to devour worms! He's eating normally and the foot still looks fantastic. Hopefully he will stop being shy soon, he has a big new tank to explore!

I agree with Auntiejude. There may have also been a very slight temperature change which caused a little stress at first, but Nero will get used to it.

It's also true that they can be very alienated at first in a large tank - like Auntiejude said, worms, good water conditions, quiet and dark should do the trick. It may also be that Nero is maturing. Very young axolotls, up until around 5-6" or so, can be very active. Older axolotls tend to be much more chilled and will spend more time sitting still and flicking their gills.

Thanks for the replies guys. Nero is starting to explore his tank and his leg is almost healed. He's starting to interact with us normally as well. Following us when we walk by the tank and watching us humans. lol
I posted some pictures of him out and about and his leg from the back. It looks so much better! Amazing how fast they heal.

Just a reply to Petersgirl as well, Nero is probaby about 6" long. He has yet to be the lazy axie he's bound to be. I think he was actually scared of the new bubbler in the tank. I turned it off for a while to see if it changed anything and within 20 mintues he wass stepping outside of the hide. It's a little bigger than the last so I'm sure the noise it was making was different. He's fine now though. :D

Attachments

• IMG_20140103_131338.jpg
    IMG_20140103_131338.jpg
    58.8 KB · Views: 386
  • IMG_20140103_122951.jpg
    IMG_20140103_122951.jpg
    66 KB · Views: 1,142
He sure is handsome :) It may have been the bubbler after all. My two took a while to get used to my bubbler too. They don't like change, lol! :)

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
  • Unlike
    sera: @Clareclare, +1
    Back