Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Salalamandra substrates?

Reaction score
I have seen several people using a loam like substrate for their salamandras (mainly algiras) however it looks very dry and slightly sandy! Does anyone know what this substrate is i think one person i have seen using it is ummi?

otolith

Reaction score
I'm not sure if there is a commercially available substrate like you described. I keep my Salamandra on a mix of coir and sandy, clay rich topsoil from my garden (rural area, no pesticide/herbicide application). It drains well on the surface and retains enough water for good humidity.

sergé

Reaction score
I think he uses loam which can be collected in the wild. I also use two types of this. One is commercial loam which is sold as dry fine sand like structure and can be used to plaster walls in a natural way. Welcome to Tierrafino
The other stuff I use is loss. Loess - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia which can be collected in area's where this is the main soil type. It feels in between sand an clay, holds moist excellent and because it is light coloured dead insects and salamandra droppings are easy to find.

Chinadog

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
It sounds a bit like the substrate I used to mix up years ago when my tortoises were babies. It was 50/50 play sand and peat free compost, it holds a lot of moisture without becoming waterlogged and holds it's shape well for burrowing etc.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!