Classroom Newts

jamminnewt

Reaction score
Country
United States
Display Name
Jazz Baker
In October Jennewt graciously gifted my 8th grade classroom with 4 juvenile Cynops cyanurus.

I wanted to share with you some photos and stories about how they have enriched my classroom. For some background, I work in a low-income, high crime, urban environment. Many of my students haven't been to other areas or had "outside" experiences, so I thought having these exotic, wonderful creatures in my room could broaden their horizons.

Right before the newts came we were learning about forces. I am stressing units of measurement this year and the unit for measuring force is the Newton. When I introduced the newts to the students I did a little lesson and had students research their habitat, why they are named "blue-tailed firebellies", and their country of origin. Despite this intro, the students made a connection (which is what we usually want!) and linked forces to the amphibians. The students like to come in and ask how the "newtons" are doing. I explain that they are newts, but we can name one Isaac if that will help them to remember the difference.

Because they were terrestrial for the first week or so, going back into the water was a surprise for the students. This exchange occurred one afternoon:

Student: "Miss!" *jumps back* "It's like swimming!"
Me: "Yeah, they can do that. Remember, I told you that they are like frogs?"
Student: "You mean they aren't plants?"
Me: "...no. They are animals. Animals move. We talked about this."

So far, only a few students have gotten their heads around the fact that they are not fish, lizards, or frogs. But most of the students find them interesting and check on them as they come in before sitting down. It has become such a staple of their life in my room that they are alarmed if the tank is gone and immediately assume that the newts died. For instance, I took the tank home over Thanksgiving break and didn't have time to bring it back. No matter what I said, the students were convinced that I was just lying to keep them from being upset, and that the newts were in fact dead. *sigh*

They have grown a LOT in the 3 months I have had them and only 1 is lagging behind. I took them home over Thanksgiving specifically to make sure the bigger ones didn't cannibalize the runt and to keep feeding regular.

The first picture is of students crowded around the tank during while waiting for the bell to ring. I blurred sides of faces for privacy.

The rest are of the tank and newts in the first week of having them.

Thanks again to Jennewt! Also, thank you to Caudata.org for creating a place where we can all connect and have these opportunitis!

:) If you have any suggestions for incorporating them into my lessons, ideas, or questions please PM me.

Attachments

• looking at newts.jpg
    looking at newts.jpg
    99.8 KB · Views: 285
  • tinynewt.jpg
    tinynewt.jpg
    104.1 KB · Views: 239
  • 2013-10-10 12.05.41.jpg
    2013-10-10 12.05.41.jpg
    97.9 KB · Views: 232
  • newtonrock.jpg
    newtonrock.jpg
    121.9 KB · Views: 227
"you mean they aren't plants?" haha made my day

Awesome! I hope to do this when I get my own classroom (only 3 more semesters til I graduate :D) So far I've been able to incorporate my axolotls into mock lesson plans for my portfolio. I've only been able to use my own kids and their friends as guinea pigs, but the kids all say they wish they could do stuff like that at their school.

I'd love to see some of your lesson plans using the newts, especially for subjects other than biology!

If they ever breed, it would make such a great experience for your kids. Watching the eggs develop, hatch, and metamorphose.

Awesome, I got 2 axolotls for the classroom, hope it will be a hit with the students

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back