Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Unable to get wet?

AfroNewtkeeper

Reaction score
One of my female C. Orientalis is seemingly unable to get water on parts of her skin. I'm fairly certain that she's a juvenile, because she hasn't entered the water yet, unlike her tankmates. If I spray her, the droplets of water just roll right off her back. I set her underwater earlier, and she appeared to have a bubble coating almost all of her skin. Any ideas to what's causing this? She's perfectly healthy otherwise, and she's a voracious eater.

Chinadog

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
It sounds like she's still in a terrestrial phase for whatever reason. During terrestrial phases the newts skin changes from being wet/slimy to dry and granular, when she goes aquatic again she'll shed her skin soon after and look just like the others. As long as she's feeding and looking healthy I wouldn't worry, she could be still gaining strength and recovering from importation etc.

Jennewt

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
How large is the animal? In most cases even juvenile (over about 2 inches) can be adapted to water. If their skin is kept wet for a few days, the skin changes and stops being water-repellent.

However, note that small newts are sometimes more reluctant to become aquatic if there are larger newts present in the tank. So it may be difficult to keep the newt's skin wet, and even if you succeed with this, the newt may still resist going in the water due to the other newt(s).

As long as the newt is eating, I'd say she'll be OK regardless of aquatic or not.

AfroNewtkeeper

Reaction score
I'd say Griffin is around 2" long, counting her tail. The other newt in there with her is maybe 2.5" and they seem to get along fine.

AfroNewtkeeper

Reaction score
Alright, her skin is normal again, so I removed her island for the time being. She can crawl on some elodea or a java fern if she needs to get above water, but she seems content for now. She's examining the java moss I just added.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1