Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

New Axolotl Mom

kjnorman

Reaction score
Heya.

I'm new to caudata.org. A long time lover of exotic pets with a background in amphibian biology, I just acquired two leucistic axolotls today after a long time admiring these fascinating animals.

More generally, I live in Ottawa, Canada, and share my house with a 104lb Doberman, 3 cats, 2 ball pythons, 3 corn snakes, and 2 leopard geckos in addition to my axies. Also, a husband, but he tells me he is not a pet.

I have previously kept a wide range of frogs and toads (marine toad, leopard frogs, pacman frogs, cuban tree frog, north american green tree frog, grey tree frog, vietnamese golden tree frog), but am new to salamanders. I hope to learn a lot!

Jan

Site Contributor
Reaction score
Hello kjnorman and a big welcome to the forum! That is quite a collection you have there.

If you have not seen it yet, you will also find our Caudata Culture area useful (Caudata Culture Home Page) with its articles, FAQs and species information.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1