Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Scored!

axowattyl

Reaction score
While it's not set in stone yet, I may have secured a large part of a fish breeders room at a nice price.

I'll know for sure tomorrow, and then delivery would be Monday.

It's four 6x2x2 tanks in two double tiered racks, that will fit perfectly down one wall of my garage/storeroom.

They are bare, just the tanks/foam bases/stands, but I prefer it that way as I can setup my filtration, etc as I please.

I had 2 of this size in my cichlid breeding days and am looking forward to all the available tank space.

I'd like to go 8 adult axies (or more?) per tank in 2 of them, and keep one for raising juveniles (big plans).

I'm hoping to plant the 4th out heavily, then fill it with feeder stock like swordtails and cherry shrimp.

So how would I plan it??

I'm considering taking one pair, drilling the side for an overflow into the bottom tank so I can have one large canister/chiller running the pair.

This would allow me to have the top tank full, but I'd be able to run the bottom quite shallow for my juvies.

OR I could plant the bottom one out heavily for some natural filtration, but I'd have to go with lighting then AND some plant fertilizer that might not suit axies.

I'm an instrument tech and a pipefitter, so if I can think of and pay for it I can make it.

I'll start with just one pair of tanks first, for financial reasons.

Lay some ideas on me!

What's the dream setup for two 6x2x2's?

Cheers,

axowattyl

Reaction score
I ended up only buying one pair of tanks on a single stand, sadly I couldn't fit them both down one side of the garage:( They come tomorrow.:happy:

Nevermind, that's how it goes.

I still want to run both tanks through a large canister/chiller combo, with some kind of livebearing feeder fish in the heavily planted bottom tank.

I'm looking at one chiller that heats as well, and am hoping to find that sweet spot where both axies and fish are catered for.

Shrimp are "off the menu" it seems, as the water conditions for them are too different and they like heat.

If I ran the temp at 22degC, I'm at the upper end for axies and the lower end for mollies or swordtails, etc.

I'd really appreciate some advice if there's someone out there who knows of a suitable companion species.

Please bear in mind I'm not keeping them in the same tank, but want to circulate the same water for both tanks.

layna

Reaction score
20 C is the upper limit for axies, 22 C is too hot and will cause a lot of problems :(
Not only would their health be jeopardised, they would burn through food quicker and live for a shorter amount of time.
Would it not be easier to just get a littler tank separate and plonk a heater in there?

I know you had the idea and all that but really its just going to confuse/create problems when it seems there is a simple solution :)

Maybe someone else with more experience can help you, but in my opinion, id do the 'hotter' tank completely separate to an axie tank.
Then that way, you can breed what you like in there without worry :D

axowattyl

Reaction score
20 C is the upper limit for axies, 22 C is too hot and will cause a lot of problems :(
Not only would their health be jeopardised, they would burn through food quicker and live for a shorter amount of time.
Would it not be easier to just get a littler tank separate and plonk a heater in there?

I know you had the idea and all that but really its just going to confuse/create problems when it seems there is a simple solution :)

Maybe someone else with more experience can help you, but in my opinion, id do the 'hotter' tank completely separate to an axie tank.
Then that way, you can breed what you like in there without worry :D

I'd come to the same conclusion that trying to "marry" tropicals and axies would mean that both were living marginally at best.

Certainly no offense taken and I don't claim to be the guru, but I'm no beginner, having bred and raised cichlids for over 10 years.

Admittedly I haven't had an axie since I was a kid and never bothered with coldwater.

I'm only thinking aloud at this stage, but have found a species that is said to be perfect for the same water conditions enjoyed by axies.

It's called a "white cloud mountain minnow", readily available in aquarium shops and a prolific breeder albeit egg layer.

A local (and highly experienced) commercial breeder who sell various species to numerous LFS's has advised me that they breed like blazes in almost any type of (but preferably cold) water and don't eat their young.

He thinks that the companion tank idea is good, but the tropicals are the wrong choice, and recommended that Australian native glass shrimp which are available from one of the live fish mobs here may also do well.

It's actually not that complicated for me as I'm an instrument technician with a fairly extensive background in mining, water treatment and pumping/monitering.

All I mean by that is that is that with raw materials (PVC pipe and fittings from the hardware) I can make a reliable and heavy duty system that works.

Just been messing around with this: HOW IT WORKS: DIY Aquarium Overflow - YouTube concept at the moment, only in much larger pipe and with a few industrial components thrown in. This example is a little bit rough for my liking.

But rather than be a "gunnadoo", I'll start a new thread in a couple of weeks with some pics and results (all going well).

Cheers,

EmbryH

Reaction score
I'd really appreciate some advice if there's someone out there who knows of a suitable companion species.

The long and short of it is: there aren't any. Axolotls are not animals that have companion species. It goes against conventional wisdom to mix species. Most people here are going to advice you not to have any other species in the tank, myself included.

That being said, it's possible to keep feeder fish in the tank (feeder shrimp too, I suppose?) for a short time, but there are issues that come with that. You have to make sure the fish aren't grazing on the axolotl's gills, and you should keep them quarantine for a time to make sure they aren't harboring any diseases or parasites. You have to make sure their habitat requirements are the same. 22C isn't cold enough for an axie, and if you have fish in water that is too cold, they'll get sick or just be miserable.

Some folks do keep shrimp or other little things in their tanks, though I personally don't think it's a good idea, and would never recommend it.

Basically, an axolotl tank is only an axolotl tank. There are no companion species. Someone will always end up eaten, injured, or sick.

axowattyl

Reaction score
You haven't read the post properly...

I have described having axolotls in the top tank, by themselves.

Then circulating the water through the bottom tank which is heavily planted in the hope of the plants providing some natural filtration.

I am talking about putting the fish/shrimp in the bottom tank where they can breed among the plants.

I have only talked of species that share the same water parameter requirements, NOT the same tank space. Admittedly I did describe them as a "companion species" which has led to confusion.

The white cloud minnow has been reported to fit the bill.

http://www.caudata.org/forum/f46-be...alamander-help/62143-fish-newts-axolotls.html

The only time I will be putting these fish in the top tank with the axolotls is when I want them to be eaten as live food.

And yes I'm aware of the temp requirements, and with this species of minnow I can run the whole show at 18degC (like my existing tank), which requires a pretty powerful chiller in Australia at the moment by the way.

I think I'd best build my idea, THEN put it up here, as it's being misunderstood.

C1ive

Reaction score
I agree that white cloud minnows will tolerate lower temperatures but I've read that they breed at higher temperatures and prefer soft water, while axies prefer hard water. Thankfully nature adapts, so they I hope they will still breed.
I can recommend cherry shrimp for the lower tank as they are prolific breeders and make a great clean up team. They love moss balls which will also help to filter the water.
You could also put daphnia in the bottom tank and use them to feed baby axies.
Whatever set-up you decide, I hope all goes well.

axowattyl

Reaction score
Thanks mate,

I'm in Sydney today and went to 4 of the biggest shops in the western side of the city.

Some were knowlegible, some not so much.

I got told varying stories on temps and hardness for white clouds, but at the end of the day I'll make the water right for my axies and see how the minnows go.

I also got told that gravel is fine for axies (it's just a myth that they eat it) and that I needed to take the water up to 24 degC to make axies breed.

But the 2 guys I felt were credible both said that the white cloud minnow had bred in ponds in Sydney prolifically (which would be pretty cold at times), and that they would be fine if they were just in water.

I'll set the chiller at 18 and see what happens with the shrimp and minnows.

If there's absolutely nothing I'll bump it up no higher than 20, that's it.

Can we buy daphnia in Australia??

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!