Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Basics on breeding?

jAfFa CaKe

Reaction score
I have two male Axies in a 120l tank (apparently that's big enough for four:ha:) and I was thinking of adding a female and trying to breed, now I know about axolotls but don't have a clue about breeding. If someone could tell the basics and if it is EXTREMELY difficult to breed them successfully I would really appreciate it! I'm not sure if its even safe to add another Axie to the tank!
Thanks in advance:smile:

FireStar

Reaction score
The basics of breeding involve you having a male axolotl and a female axolotl in the same tank.

seagull

Reaction score
now is a good time to breed them
i get flat stacking stones that cant be swallowed and i put them in the tank
then i add a ton of fake plants and the adults
it helps to do the following:
drop water level about 2 inches and cool the water to 62 degrees with ice
add more plant stuff than what is normally in there
feed the adults very often

this tricks them into thinking its optimal breeding season for the offspring to grow in

the males also vary in their behavior
older males are quicker to get it on in my experience

Dipsy66

Reaction score
I just had a male in with my two females :happy:.....they did the business without any assistance to me ;) and before I knew it I had hundreds of eggs :eek:.

I waited until the eggs began to change shape then selected a few of the bigger and stronger looking ones, and euthanized the remainder by freezing the less advanced eggs....only because it was a first for me and I wasn't sure how I'd cope if they all developed. I work full time and had to be realistic about the time I could devote to the newcomers.

I ended up with 16 viable embryos that hatched after 12 days. I lost 8 of those that hatched within the first week, twins that died within minutes of hatching (I suppose survival of the strongest came into play)...the remaining 8 babies are doing well at the moment and are now about 10 days old. I can see coloration in them and they are developing their little gills. :D

For some reason the ones I lost was when I was feeding them on Daphnia, so I stopped and started grating frozen bloodworm into the container......I have no idea why, as I'd read on here that live food was better, but the remaining babies are thriving and seem to be eating well, so I'm a dedicated grater of bloodworm now!!!!

I am changing the water 100% every day to keep them clean and using the water from the parent tank.

This is a baptism of fire for me and I desperately want my babies to make it......all crossed and good luck with your venture.

Attachments

• 2014-01-04 19.08.39.jpg
    2014-01-04 19.08.39.jpg
    104.6 KB · Views: 223

auntiejude

Reaction score
Getting them to breed is just a matter of biology - male + female = eggs. Assuming they are the right age they shouldn't need your help other than cool clean water and worms.

Raising babies on the other hand is hard. You're likely to lose a fair few, especially with your first batch - and thats tough, food can get expensive, water changes are tiring and time consuming, and then you have to find new homes for them.

120L is big enough for 3 axies, but I would get a 2nd tank (60L) and move one of the males into it, then add a female to the bigger tank. That way you'll know who the daddy is. I would then swap the 2nd male and the female so the female has her own tank and you don't get unexpected eggs.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1