Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

My Newt Is Acting Like a Newt!

Anthony370

Reaction score
Hooray! After a full week of just sitting on land, I've finally gotten my newt used to the water!

I had to be kind of a jerk to do it - took away his island for over an hour today. He could still prop himself partly out of the water on the bamboo for air.

However, when I came home tonight he was swimming around and diving to the bottom and all the stuff that newts ought to do! Yay!

Now to figure out where to get live bloodworms... My frog died, so he'll be getting my leftover supply of frozen brine shrimp right now.

But - yeah - my newt is being a newt - finally!

Azhael

Site Contributor
Reaction score
Is a piece of bamboo all it has to get out of the water if it needs to? Because that´s a serious drowning hazzard.
Newts that have been terrestrial for a while reabsorb their tail fins which means they have very narrow, almost cilindrical tails that are terrible for swimming. This makes them poor swimmers and they can drown unless they have support for getting to the surface without too much effort. They usually panic in open water and this can be seen by frantic swimming and darting away.
It´s not until the animal develops a wide, swimming tail that it will be safe in open water.
Furthermore, if the animal was terrestrial and refused to go into the water, it is highly probable that water conditions weren´t optimal, which means the problem is not solved, you have just forced a new stressful situation for your already stressed newt.
Having HUGE amounts of plants, specially floating at the surface, will help inmensely both in terms of water quality and in preventing the newt from drowning and making it feel safe.

Jennewt

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Once in the water, it's likely to eat frozen bloodworms OK. So you don't necessarily need to find live ones. Most pet shops have frozen bloodworms.

Anthony370

Reaction score
Is a piece of bamboo all it has to get out of the water if it needs to? Because that´s a serious drowning hazzard.
Newts that have been terrestrial for a while reabsorb their tail fins which means they have very narrow, almost cilindrical tails that are terrible for swimming. This makes them poor swimmers and they can drown unless they have support for getting to the surface without too much effort. They usually panic in open water and this can be seen by frantic swimming and darting away.
It´s not until the animal develops a wide, swimming tail that it will be safe in open water.
Furthermore, if the animal was terrestrial and refused to go into the water, it is highly probable that water conditions weren´t optimal, which means the problem is not solved, you have just forced a new stressful situation for your already stressed newt.
Having HUGE amounts of plants, specially floating at the surface, will help inmensely both in terms of water quality and in preventing the newt from drowning and making it feel safe.

The water quality is just fine - I tested it and the heater keeps it at 72 degrees in the warmest part of the tank, 69 in the coldest

He has a floating island - but while I was cleaning the island and modifying it, he was without island for a while. He could still easily get most of his body out of the water.

Now he frequently goes swimming, and when he's on land, he keeps part of himself in the water

I was watching him the entire time that he didn't have his island.

As soon as this blizzard goes away, I'll go get him some more plants and some bloodworms. I already have a fair amount of plants in the bottom

Can you recommend some types that float like you mentioned?

Oh - how will he like the frozen brine shrimp I have?

AfroNewtkeeper

Reaction score
What species is it? Most newts would prefer temperatures of 65 degrees or lower.
As for plants, I would recommend elodea, java moss, or ceratophyllum. (Also known as hornwort.) Otherwise, any plant whose leaves reach the surface is suitable.

Anthony370

Reaction score
What species is it? Most newts would prefer temperatures of 65 degrees or lower.
As for plants, I would recommend elodea, java moss, or ceratophyllum. (Also known as hornwort.) Otherwise, any plant whose leaves reach the surface is suitable.

Its a Firebellied Newt - but I'm not sure if he's Japanese or Chinese. I got him at a pet shop for like $9

I think he's Chinese.

He seems to enjoy the water - but more the top where its warmer - around 70 - than the bottom where its cooler. I'll get some java moss when the stores reopen.

He actually hangs out on the heater when he dives down - so it kind of leads me to believe he likes it warmer for some reason

Azhael

Site Contributor
Reaction score
Considering it´s most probably an Hypselotriton orientalis, the ideal temp is 20ºC or less, and particularly in the winter it would benefit from temps lower than 15ºC, going comfortably as low as 4-5ºC.
Take out the heater right away, it´s not helping your newt at all.

Which parameters did you test?

I´d recommend Hydrocotile leucocephala, it´s excellent for creating floating mats and it´s an efficient biological filter.

Anthony370

Reaction score
Considering it´s most probably an Hypselotriton orientalis, the ideal temp is 20ºC or less, and particularly in the winter it would benefit from temps lower than 15ºC, going comfortably as low as 4-5ºC.
Take out the heater right away, it´s not helping your newt at all.

Which parameters did you test?

I´d recommend Hydrocotile leucocephala, it´s excellent for creating floating mats and it´s an efficient biological filter.

Ammonia and nitrates

Heater is out - will report back in the temperature when it comes down

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1