Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Substrate for tinies

bugdozer

Reaction score
I have some axolotls that are just crossing the line from larvae/tadpole to juvenile, with all legs, and will soon be going to new homes. I'm aware that larger axolotls will ingest gravel if it's too small, causing problems, so sand is a recommended substrate.
However, when the axies are still just a couple of inches long, might the issue of scale be a problem with sand? The grains are small, but the axies are too! If a juvenile ingests sand does it cause problems? Am I better off keeping the tank floor bare until they reach a certain size?

EmbryH

Reaction score
I prefer to keep juveniles on a bare glass bottom. You're right; sand can impact smaller axolotls much easier. When I got my juvenile last year, I kept her on glass until she was at least 5-6 inches long, and I intend to do the same with the hatchlings I'm raising now.

It also depends on how you choose to feed them. My juvie Misha was fed on pellets when she was smaller, which was another reason to keep her on glass, as the pellets sank and she had to eat them from the bottom. Once she moved up to earthworms, I knew it'd be safe to switch her to sand.

Basically, if they're tiny and/or feeding off the bottom of the tank, just keep it bare with no substrate. It's the safest way.

Dipsy66

Reaction score
I have some axolotls that are just crossing the line from larvae/tadpole to juvenile, with all legs, and will soon be going to new homes. I'm aware that larger axolotls will ingest gravel if it's too small, causing problems, so sand is a recommended substrate.
However, when the axies are still just a couple of inches long, might the issue of scale be a problem with sand? The grains are small, but the axies are too! If a juvenile ingests sand does it cause problems? Am I better off keeping the tank floor bare until they reach a certain size?

Thanks for posting this, I hadn't thought about that with my babies...will ensure I keep them on just glass until they are much much bigger.

This forum is great....every day a school day....and I'm learning ALL the time. :happy:

layna

Reaction score
Hey :D
Unless you have a bare bottomed tank, axies should never be fed off the floor, even when adults.
They should either have a feeding dish, be fed from tongs or be fed by hand :p
Doing this also encourages them not to 'search' the ground for food which could lead to them ingesting sand.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1