Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Question: Eggs!! What should I do?

AxieRose

Reaction score
First post but have been an avid reader since I got my first axies 8 months ago. I came home from a 5 day vacation and discovered that one of my axies had laid eggs. I have read up on the relevant links but would appreciate it if anyone could walk me through what I should do. So far there are at least 100 eggs, but I suspect my main culprit (there is one definite male, 1 definite female, and 1 likely female) is not done laying them. Please help! Most of the eggs are on plastic plants and the rest are on decor. I have what I need to hatch Brine shrimp, my main concern is what to do with the eggs/when to move them. Many thanks

auntiejude

Reaction score
Once your female has finished laying move the eggs to a large plastic tub. If they are attached to plants and ornaments you'll have to get your hand and thumbnails in there to detach them - they are attached by a layer of slime. The eggs are fine out of water for a short time, but cover them with tank water and put them somewhere safe at room temperature.
Decide how many to keep/sell/give away etc, and freeze the rest within 5 days
You have 12-21 days from laying until they hatch. It's a good idea to do a test batch of BBS to work out exactly how long they take to hatch in your set-up.
When the larvae start hatching move them to small tubs with just a few in each - some people sort by colour, some by hatch date, but it's up to you.
Feed them BBS until they are big enough for daphnia and chopped bloodworm.
Change their water daily.

Easy!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!