White spots, possible tail fungus?

Muncha

Reaction score
Country
Argentina
Hi everybody! I've recently bought my first Axolotl, named Atlas, and I'm worried about him, at the pet store he was in a reaaaally small and cloudy tank, and he already had white little spots on his tail but the guy there told me that they looked like normal skin coloration thingies. (yeah right)
Now he's alone in a 80 cm long x 20 cm wide x 35 cm tall tank with clean dechlorinated tap water and a filter that causes almost no water current, I keep the sustrate and filter clean and change the water weekly (20lts I think is like 5 gallons aprox??), but the spots don't go away and his tail is all wrinkly. :(
Now, here's the question, should I try giving him salt baths? He's very active and eats well, but I don't want to wake up one day and realize his tail fell off or something terrible like that.
I'd REALLY appreciatte any opinions, I'm about to buy some salts just in case.

V4MJ6OT.jpg

J5A2uRK.jpg

mMb7s8g.jpg

JTJQr0V.jpg

As a new member I've already gathered a lot of information from these forums and it's been super helpfull. So thanks in advance!

Actually, those just look like skin pores. I think this is the first time I've heard of a petshop giving correct information.

Look, here's my albino; note the pores. It's perfectly normal for axies to have them, and yours actually seems to be in fine shape, especially if he's eating normally and such (what are you feeding him, by the way?). No need for a salt bath. You'd know if it were fungus because it'd be white, fuzzy, and cottony.

Your axie is fine :)

Attachments

• 1462583_10151844760633295_73219689_o.jpg
    1462583_10151844760633295_73219689_o.jpg
    55.4 KB · Views: 1,712
His diet consists of chopped earthworms that I pluck from my garden myself, really healthy ones, untouched by chemicals, and amphibian pellets, which he happily gulps down too. Thank you for replying so fast! Your axie looks super pretty! :D

Excellent :) Keep up the good work, and thanks =^^=

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back