When is cold TOO cold?

Angi

Reaction score
Country
United States
Display Name
Angi
So I've seen a lot of posts telling people not to use heaters and I get that, I understand these guys like it cold, and I've had my male for over 2yrs in my basement with me and he's quite healthy, eats a full grown canadian nightcrawler every couple days. So yesterday I am rummaging through my "fish box" and I find a thermometer, yknow one of the sticky ones, well I put it on the big guys tank and the lowest reading is 64* and it doesn't register so I used the thermometer out of my tropical tank and got a reading of 57* is that something to be concerned about?

From my understanding, they can survive waters until it gets to freezing. I would try and keep it in the 60's just to make sure their metabolism and appetite isn't affected, though.

I've seen axolotls kept outside all year here in the UK. They were kept in a large cattle trough with lots of plants and easily coped with the harsh winters we have. In a large volume of water there will always be areas in the bottom that remain at 4 degrees C, even if the surface is frozen over because water is at its densest and heaviest at 4 degrees.

If there is ice on top break it up so the axies can surface for air!

Text book says axies like 10-20C, although as Chinadog says, here in the UK some people keep their axies outdoors all year round (down to about -5C where I am)

To be clear though, even if the air temperature is -5C, there will be areas of water near the bottom that never get below 4C if the water body is reasonably large and still. It must be still to allow the dense 4C water to sink naturally to the bottom, lots of koi carp die every winter because skimmers and air stones create too much water movement and the temp drops below 4C.
I wouldn't advise keeping axolotls outside all year in the UK, I was just trying to think of the coldest conditions i've ever seen them kept :)

Well, yes, and I am not looking for a temp they will SURVIVE, I am looking for an optimal temp for them to live in, my basement is never going to get warm (it is around 70 in the summer), tho we are experiencing a much colder than usual winter. I just want them to be happy and if it's adding a heater then I'm all for it, but if I don't have to I would prefer to not plug in another item.

Hello from Chicago! This is in celcius. With wind chill it was in -30s/-40s with gusts to -50s. (Wind chills in F. )

Screenshot_2014-01-06-17-13-05.png

Indoors, even in a basement , its not going to get too cold, assuming the rest of the house is heated and comfortable for humans.
(i'm not visiting chicago this week. Its 10C over here - unseasonally warm - but they are promising a big freeze when your weather makes it across the atlantic)

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back