Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Strange hatchling color?

lovesheraxies

Reaction score
Hey! Quick question, I had a 4th clutch hatch last night, don't worry, not from Penny! Lol a friend of mine, her Melanoid and Leucistic made babies and she asked me to take some eggs. Anyways some of the hatchlings look to be a solid light brown, I've never seen this in the 3 previous clutches Penny had. Has anyone seen it before? If so what color did the babies turn out to be? Thanx :)

auntiejude

Reaction score
Do you have a photo? When my albinos hatched they were kinda grey, but light brown could be either melanoid or leucistic.

lovesheraxies

Reaction score
Here is the best I could get with them being a day old lol, the one in the middle, it's like a smooth solid light brown, it has rings in it's eyes and the gills are presently white.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    102 KB · Views: 314

auntiejude

Reaction score
Too small to tell really, but I'm leaning towards dark wiltype from your description.

Alkylhalide

Reaction score
Sounds like an either melanoid of axanthic albino. The yellow pigment may only show up eventually. Both batchs i have raised( well one the eggs only htched two days ago) have had these colored babies. Last batch i had some leucistic melanoids and they looked like this until they got a bit bigger. It make it hard because i had no idea if they would darken up or lighten. I think its what is inside that makes this color and not pigment

EmbryH

Reaction score
Sounds like an either melanoid of axanthic albino. The yellow pigment may only show up eventually. Both batchs i have raised( well one the eggs only htched two days ago) have had these colored babies. Last batch i had some leucistic melanoids and they looked like this until they got a bit bigger. It make it hard because i had no idea if they would darken up or lighten. I think its what is inside that makes this color and not pigment

this gives me hope about what I've got in my batch!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1