Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Just want to check my setup with those in the know.

SuburbanGirl

Reaction score
Ok, so I think I'm ready for the moment of truth. I spent about 3 months lurking on this forum before I got my first Jack so I could make sure I had a clue about what I was doing. I have had him for about 8 months, and the little Jacks are about a month old (I named all my axolotls Jack). Below please find some pics of my setup. Please let me know if there is anything I'm doing wrong, or if there is any way I could improve this. Also, please don't make fun of my Christmas tree. The party is this weekend to burn it.

Attachments

• IMG_2210.jpg
    IMG_2210.jpg
    96 KB · Views: 235
  • IMG_2187.jpg
    IMG_2187.jpg
    110.7 KB · Views: 211
  • IMG_2209.jpg
    IMG_2209.jpg
    99.2 KB · Views: 184
  • IMG_2222.jpg
    IMG_2222.jpg
    78.6 KB · Views: 196
Last edited:

EmbryH

Reaction score
First, can I just say that I love how you've named them all Jack and you refer to them as big Jack and little Jacks? That's adorable.

Your tank set ups are fine for most cases, but I would caution you about the tank all the little Jacks are in. The issue is that when they're so small, sand substrates can be dangerous to them if they're feeding off the ground as they appear to be.

Personally, I'd remove the sand until they can start eating earthworms or feeding from above. Either that, or I'd try to keep all the worms in a feeding dish of some kind. You don't want the little Jacks accidentally swallowing sand every time they hunt.

SuburbanGirl

Reaction score
So what would a feeding dish look like? I'm really hesitant to take out the sand because that tank is cycled, and part of it is from that sand. Could I use an ashtray maybe?

They are feeding off the ground because I haven't figured out how to feed them by hand. Everyone talks about it, but I've never seen anyone do it, and I haven't found a tutorial. I raised the big Jack on sand starting from when he was about as small as the little Jacks are now, and he seems fine. I lost his tankmates before I put them on sand, and I know why they died, and have avoided that problem with the second batch. In this batch I have only lost one, and I think that was because of a birth defect.

So back to the original question (after all my rambling) Will an ashtray work?

auntiejude

Reaction score
Yes a (clean) ashtray would work, but a large jam jar would be better. If you use an open dish the food can fall out and still end up on the sand, a jar is enclosed and easier to keep clean.

layna

Reaction score
Any sort of bowl/jar will do, just pop it in for feeding and remove after :D

Or use tongs/reptile tweezers.

The only thing i would suggest with your tanks is more hides or lots of plants to make shaded areas as it looks quite bright in your tanks and with axies having no eyelids they dont like lights haha!

SuburbanGirl

Reaction score
I will go out this weekend and get some better hides. It's not as bright as those pictures most of the time because I"m at work and I keep the blinds closed to keep the warm in. But when summer comes I'll be opening the blinds, and I'm sure that would bother them more.

How do they find the food in the jar? I have a half-pint jar that I can use, but I'm worried that they won't be able to find the food if they have to swim up the side to get in. Can someone post a picture of their feeding jar with food in it so I can see what I need to do? Thanks!

EmbryH

Reaction score
Here are some examples of feeding jars.

If you have many little Jacks, I would maybe have more than one jar, just so no one gets too crowded and decides to nip another Jack.

SuburbanGirl

Reaction score
Thanks Embry! I'll start using 2 of those tonight. I think I have enough little Jacks that they will need two. Thanks for all the help from everyone, I really appreciate it!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1