The struggle of the first time axolotls

wigiwu

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi everyone,

I have been trying to find axolotls for almost a year in NC and had almost given up hope of every finding any. I have had experience with reptiles but have never been a fish tank kind of gal, but the personality of the axolotls made me reconsider. But after having every specialty shop in my town tell me either they are illegal or that they hadn't seen any since the 90's I had lost all hope.

And then a week before Thanksgiving I was getting supplies for a bearded dragon tank I was going to set up and BOOM there they were. The fish guy even remembered me from the year previous. I had to get them and I knew I was doing it all wrong only giving my tank a day running before I had to go pick them up god only knew how long it would take the store to get more. And I struggled like I said I am not a fish tank kinda girl. The store really didn't know what they had and at first directed to buying a heater (I luckily found this site before my creatures ever hit the water.) luckily I had read enough to know not to use gravel but I wasn't even half way close to knowing about cycling a tank.

And so it began my monthly long struggle with cycling my first fish tank. The hazy water drove me crazy and I thought for sure I was only moments away from killing them. I started feeding them brine shrimp but was and am still unsure if they are actually eating them and blood worms which was my fish go with hand feeding and the frustration of my little guy always spitting them out. But finally on Christmas day the tank finally cleared up no more death haze. I am still having trouble getting them to eat the worms since the brine shrimp bother me for some reason but at last I feel I might be getting the hang of this

Attachments

• lotl enlightenment.jpg
    lotl enlightenment.jpg
    47.5 KB · Views: 116
General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back