Question: Slate cave and filter question

Beth72201

Reaction score
Country
United States
My 40 gallon breeder tank is at end of completing cycle (finally!). I have an eheim internal filter which has 3 sections to place media. Currently I have a sponge for mechanical filtration, and the other 2 sections have eheim substrate pro, for biological filtration. Should these be adequate or should I consider an alternative? I have attached a good sized spray bar to cut down on the current.

I bought quite a few pieces of slate I would like to make caves with. I soaked and washed with tap water (no cleanser of any kind), sanded any rough edges, and boiled them. I would like to "glue" pieces so don't fall and cause injury. What is best to use? Thought silicone, guy @ lfs said wouldn't hold well, his recommendation- Super Glue Gel, claims non-toxic and he uses to attach his coral to live rock in his aquarium.... stressed must be GEL and can be safely used!

Any thought or ideas would be most welcomed!

Currently I have a sponge for mechanical filtration, and the other 2 sections have eheim substrate pro, for biological filtration. Should these be adequate or should I consider an alternative?
The biological media made by Eheim is very good and there is no need to change. Doing so now would risk crashing your cycle anyway.

Thought silicone, guy @ lfs said wouldn't hold well, his recommendation- Super Glue Gel, claims non-toxic and he uses to attach his coral to live rock in his aquarium.... stressed must be GEL and can be safely used!
Silicone wouldn't hold well? What does he think they hold 200 gallon aquariums together with? I have a rimless aquarium held together with nothing but silicone. I would go with your first instinct and use aquarium safe silicone. Plus if you ever want to change the arrangement of the rock pieces you would just need a razor blade and more silicone.

As a side note, regular super glue is aquarium safe also. I don't know if he was implying it wasn't.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back