Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Long-time tiger salamander owner

beeko7

Reaction score
Hello! I've had four tiger salamanders in my care over the past 20 years, adopted veterans of a university study in a lab where my sister had a summer job. Spoon, a male tiger and my first adoptee, was sickly from the start and died shortly after I got him. On the heels of Spoon's death, I received Spade, another male, and then Bad and Bandit (male and female, respectively) the following year.

It all started pretty unexpectedly. I was a teenager and pretty inexperienced in salamander care when I got these guys, and the internet was young back then. I learned what I could from the lab where I got them, their supplier, vets and pet stores. Still, I felt like I was flying pretty blind. The lab was keeping them in water with no land (they had just metamorphosed), so that's initially how I kept them--in about an inch of water. No one I talked to seemed to know a whole lot about their specific needs and most acted like it was really weird to keep them as pets. The first time one of them got sick (Spade was lethargic and not eating) I tried calling everyone I could think of. The lab's supplier said it sounded like my salamander was going to die and like I was way too attached to it--SO not helpful! But I did learn from them about their natural habitat, which helped me construct something similarish for them.

Bad died after 6 years, when I quarantined him in a too-shallow bucket during an illness. He climbed out and we discovered him too late. Spade died at 11, I think of cancer. His body was riddled with lumps.

The lone survivor is Bandit, who has been with me for about 18 years. Up until now, Bandit has been pretty trouble-free, but recently she began having trouble shedding and developed sores. She also recently developed a large lump/cyst just past her cloaca. I took her to an exotics vet who aspirated fluid from it and doesn't think it is cancer, which is a relief, but one I am not sure I should trust, as they admittedly are inexperienced with salamanders and I've received some incorrect advice from them in the past.

All of these new troubles, along with a dearth of experienced professionals, prompted me to take to the internet and now I've found you, caudata.org, which is so awesome! Finally I can research past posts from, correspond with, and pick the brains of other tiger salamander owners! It has helped me resolve Bandit's skin issues! I've had her on sphagnum moss for much of her life. She never had problems with it until recently, whether because of her age or an especially acidic batch of moss, she spiraled down fast--sores, trouble shedding, not eating, vomiting. Then I read here about the dangers of sphagnum and its pH and osmoregulation and I got her out of there and onto coconut fiber and within hours she was worlds better! She shedded & no more sores! She's still not wanting to eat, and she still has that cyst, but she no longer looks to be at death's door. Expect to see some questions from me in the "Newt & Salamander Help" section!

Thanks!!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!