Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Water questions

KateR

Reaction score
So I'm just in the process of researching setups etc. Looking on our local water company website, the information for the water in our area is as follows:
- slightly hard
- calcium 55.7
- pH 7.25
- free chlorine 0.11
- total chlorine 0.16
- nitrates 8.1815
- nitrites 0.0093

Is that hard enough and does it have a low enough chlorine level to be able to use tap water without adding any extra salts and by just letting it stand to dechlorinate without adding nay other chemicals?

If any more information is needed let me know and I can get it as it had levels for all sorts of other chemicals too.

Thanks.

auntiejude

Reaction score
Tap water needs to be dechlorinated, not all the chlorine will dissipate if left to stand. Some people swear by the dechlorinators with aloe, some use plain old thiosulfate - the added bonus with either of these is that it will neutralise any heavy metals and copper in your water too.

Hardness is less precise - hard water is better than soft or rainwater, but most water that comes from an aquifer will be fine. 'slightly hard' is OK, you won't need to add anything.

The nitrates seem OK (mine is 12).

Just make sure you cycle the tank before adding your axies, or at least have a plan for axie-in cycling.

FireStar

Reaction score
Wow you got all that from your water company!

Before I got my axies, I wrote to mine asking what they had in the water, they replied

Thank you for your email,
Please ask your local vet regarding your pet
We would like ensure you that Watercare takes the best care to ensure your water is safe.

WAT? THAT TOLD ME NOTHING!!!

auntiejude

Reaction score
Wow you got all that from your water company!
Legislation over here says the info has to be available to the public - it's available on the internet. You type in your postcode and up pops the results from your local pumping station.

What worries me is that you get readings for arsenic, cyanide, cadmium, lead, chromium, nickel and mercury! Scary stuff, but it just proves how valuable dechlorinator is! (it chelates heavy metals so they can't be absorbed by the axies)

KateR

Reaction score
Thanks. Which dechlorinator do you recommend? Yes, i'm aware of cycling etc, just starting with the basics.

KateR

Reaction score
Oooh also, if you use the dechlorinator do you still leave the water to air for a bit, and are 2l coke type bottles suitable?

auntiejude

Reaction score
Youre gonna need a whole load of 2L bottles!
I use camping water conatiners - 10L and 15L - heavier but quicker - and a good investment. I leave the water to stand in closed containers to equalize the temperature when possible, if not I make it up at 18C and use it straight away. Dechlorinators don't require you to stand the water to dissipate the chlorine, they neutralise on contact.

I use plain sodium thiosulfate, I buy crystals and make up my own solution, others swear by the tetra or nutrafin brands with aloe.

I've also got 2 30L plasterer's buckets from B&Q and a gravity siphon for emptying.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!