How do I know they're eating?

Angi

Reaction score
Country
United States
Display Name
Angi
Ok so yes, I am one of those worry-ers.

I had some eggs hatch between 3 and 4 days ago, I have been adding brine shrimp babies, then leave them in there for an hour or 2, strain, rinse, and leave in the clean water for about 3-4hrs, then repeat.

I don't see the orange tummys like the posts say I should, I barely see anyone move unless another one bumps in to them then they all swim around.

The water is around 57* F should I think about putting some heat on them or am I just worrying too much?

This is my first attempt at this and I have right around 50 babies I believe. I am keeping them in a cool whip bowl, no aeration.

Anything I should change? Or am I just expecting too much?

I have a DIY fish breeder system (the nylon around a tupperware) that I could suspend them in a tank that's 72* F but I really don't have any options of inbetween temps.

As young as these guys are, today would be the first day you'd be able to see the orange tummys. I've done it twice and both times I would put the brine shrimp in and leave it for about 4-6 hours. Then change the water and do it again tomorrow. You'll be fine, 57 is a little cool, but don't stress.

A cool whip bowl is going to be too small in only a few days, so you might consider something bigger. I used mixing bowls with a bubbler until they were large enough to put in their own tank.

I hope someone else can chime in with any other good advice.

I'd move them to something bigger. I'm keeping mine in 4 of these and haven't had problems

The reason for something this small is just to concentrate the food. I have LOTS of different sized containers to upgrade to little by little ;)

I just wanted to get past the "starving" part, trying to do this in small steps to not lose too many, don't want to be a failure :sick:

I suggest just to keep giving them dense amounts of food. They'll learn how to eat, and if they don't it won't be your fault.

You'll know they're eating when you see them 'jump' forward a bit. Pink bellies will happen eventually, just keep trying! :)

This is what a little larva with a full belly looks like:

Attachments

• OB1.jpg
    OB1.jpg
    22.4 KB · Views: 196
Day 5 and no orange bellies, no one's dying, all are swimming... just doesn't seem to be anyone eating... kinda freaking out, but trying to be patient =\

Day 5 and no orange bellies, no one's dying, all are swimming... just doesn't seem to be anyone eating... kinda freaking out, but trying to be patient =\

Angi, I'm in the same boat as you but my babies from my first batch of eggs hatched on Boxing day are all going strong....I can't see the bloated tummies either but not sure if that's my eyesight!!!!!! They appear to be thriving though so am just going to keep going the way I am and see what happens.

Sadly my 2nd batch of hatchlings, which arrived 2 days ago, I came home tonight to find them ALL dead bar one little one. Don't know why, as I have done exactly the same care package for them as I did the first ones.

All a huge learning curve.

Good luck with your babies.

In regards to bigger container vs. food concentration, I suggest you get a bigger container and just lower the water level. I have my babies in a 30 gal tank, and put about 1.5 or 2 inches of water. They eat very well.
In a couple of days, your babies will most likely get into the cannibalistic stage (usually when they develop their front legs), and you want to give them a little more room to avoid disasters.

I've noticed too with this clutch, I'm on day five and very little are eating. Only one casualty so far.

I have 2 orange bellies!

I may split them up a little later today, maybe more will have orange bellies and I'll sort them that way for now.

For now I am just happy they're starting to eat! :D

so I started to separate these guys by orange tummies, so I could make sure everyone is eating and my buckets ended up with all the leucistic and wild type (colored ones anyway) in one bucket with orange tummies and all the albinos in the other bucket with no orange tummies.

I read this on someone else's post so I thought I would share that as well, seems weird haha

LOTS of orange bellies, even in the albinos now, still a few that haven't started eating yet... but I feel good with the amount that are eating that the other will come around. A happy axie mom atm =)

In a couple of days, your babies will most likely get into the cannibalistic stage (usually when they develop their front legs), and you want to give them a little more room to avoid disasters

This 'cannibalistic phase' is a fallacy. Axolotls are not cannibalistic - they do not deliberately seek out their own kind to eat. They are opportunistic and see anything that moves as a potential meal. Offer an axie a larva and a worm and it won't care what it eats.

They are likely to nip when they get overcrowded, if there is a shortage of food, and if they are upset by poor water quality.

I am still feeding twice a day. I leave the BBS in there for about 4hrs then a complete water change. I wait a few hours then repeat, they are in clean water overnight.

I do have them in 2 separate buckets, but I bought the shoe boxes listed here to separate them further as needed.

Looks like the wilds (I believe) have HUGE heads compared to what I believe are the leucistics so those are going to be the first ones that will be separated haha

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back