Hello from Iceland

Hallak

Reaction score
Country
Iceland
Hi there,
Around 13 years ago I was working in a small town in Australia where I first met some Axolotls in a petshop. I totally fell for them and often went to visit them and a large parrot at the petshop.
Just recently got two little axolotls, about 8 cm long, very cute. I'm hoping to keep them alive and very happy to have found this page with all this useful info :D

I've also got two african clawed frogs (in seperate tank) and a dog and some larger animals :) My dog doesn't particularly like those small creatures as they take his attention :)
Looking forward to chat about Axolotls ;):happy:

I wondered if people kept salamanders in Iceland. Thanks for clearing that up - and welcome to the forum!!

Yep we do :) I've seen some sorts of frogs and salamanders, but I still don't know about anybody else that has Axolotls here :D And thank you :)

What kinds of salamanders are available to buy there? I'm just curious. I guess no worries about them getting loose and decimating the indigenous salamander population LOL. No native frogs or snakes either, right?

Not so long ago another member from Iceland joined who has H.orientalis. Would love to go to Iceland fot he holydays in the future and taste that fermented shark meat (hákarl).

Nice to know :) Well, we actually do have tastier food than the rotten shark :D Would rather recommend dry fish with butter and smoked lamb:happy:

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back